First Test run

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

connieboy

Jun 19, 2016
Cambs
Well after buying a British army bivi and a highlander self inflating mat I decided to give them a test, as I've never camped outside of a tent Io decided to try them in the garden, I only had an old 3 season sleeping bag so used that but just laid on it in the bivi,
I only had about 1 1/2 hours broken sleep as it felt so strange sleeping on the floor open to the the elements, I guess its something I'll get used to.
I didn't feel comfortable with my head poking out of the bivi bag, I'm sure after a while it won't bother me... so I slid down the bag a bit, felt strange but I'm sure I'll find the best position after a few more goes. I'll try again next weekend :)

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Good on ya mate, nowt better than waking up, out in the wilds to the dawn chorus :) The more times you do it, you'll soon get used to it.

Try and get to a meet, with like minded folk, have a good crac, and enjoy ya self :D

connieboy

Jun 19, 2016
Cambs
Good on ya mate, nowt better than waking up, out in the wilds to the dawn chorus :) The more times you do it, you'll soon get used to it.

Try and get to a meet, with like minded folk, have a good crac, and enjoy ya self :D

Thanks mate, I have found a group meet on here which I may hook up with when I have the right equipment for a couple of days

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Try not to stick your head in the bivvy, it'll build up moisture and can be dangerous if you fall asleep.

Tonyuk

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
I'm planning on doing my first bivvy & tarp wildcamps, this coming autumn & winter.

When the pesky flying insects have gone :)

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Might I suggest a mossie head net if you don't like having your head completely exposed.
Allows you to keep your head out of the bag whilst also being completely covered.

Also as said the more you try the more you do.
Good Luck.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Here is a setup I use. 3x3 tarp, bivvi bag, sleep mat and a wool blanket. Pretty much the kit you have.

[video=youtube;PLkxLwfWItw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLkxLwfWItw[/video]

connieboy

Jun 19, 2016
Cambs
Might I suggest a mossie head net if you don't like having your head completely exposed.
Allows you to keep your head out of the bag whilst also being completely covered.

Also as said the more you try the more you do.
Good Luck.

Thanks mate, I was going to pop down to my local go outdoors shop and have a look at some nets

connieboy

Jun 19, 2016
Cambs
Try not to stick your head in the bivvy, it'll build up moisture and can be dangerous if you fall asleep.

Tonyuk
Thanks for the warning
I did have a big opening at the time, but I was paranoid about that, probably why I didn't sleep... Lol

connieboy

Jun 19, 2016
Cambs
Here is a setup I use. 3x3 tarp, bivvi bag, sleep mat and a wool blanket. Pretty much the kit you have.

[video=youtube;PLkxLwfWItw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLkxLwfWItw[/video]

Lovely little setup there, nice and simply, I'm planning on keeping it minimal too, I think my next purchase will definitely be a DD 3x3m tarp...

Last edited:

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
As a British Squaddie I've been sleeping inside bivvy bags for years now and I've never heard of anyone suffocating. So I wouldn't worry to much it and just enjoy it :).
Do you ever come by Northampton. I could lend you a hammock so you could see how you feel about them.

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Simple kit to get.
Go to Ikea and buy a Stainless steel cutlery stand to make a hobo stove and a couple of old tent pegs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJvefSos4I0

Find a cheap Stainless steel coffee/suger/tea holder or a couple of old tin for cook pots. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-uPqtlv1FI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pNxz7sQMnw

(Theres loads of these vids on youtube)

Get a chain and bolt it to the sides of the tin/Stainless steel coffee holder and you are good to go

That how I started

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
thanks for that! :eek:

i knew only of the version where you cut slots into the log-- we made those all time in Japan for schoolkids visiting..... :puppy_dog
No worries.
Those slotty ones work very well too , draw more air so burn better but they tend to split easily....
Cheers

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
As for sleeping inside a bivvi bag and the whole suffocation/condensation thing.

I've been using goretex since the late 80's, in particular the original survival aids bivvi bag which allowed you to fully seal yourself in with a zip and velcro flap. This was great in Scotland for getting away from midges. Never once did I suffocate or get damp through condensation. Water freezing on the inside of the bag is a problem if the conditions are cold enough, i.e. sub zero, where the vapour solidifies (becomes water again) before it can escape the bag. It's happened to me once whilst bivvying at altitude.
Goretex is designed to let water vapour out/in but not liquid water, as the molecules of vapour are much smaller than liquid water. The holes in goretex (it's microporous) are designed that way. Water vapour is much bigger than the other gasses that you breath in and out, in terms of its molecule size, and so gasses pass through easily. There's no way you could suffocate.
Claustrophobia is another matter.

connieboy

Jun 19, 2016
Cambs
As for sleeping inside a bivvi bag and the whole suffocation/condensation thing.

I've been using goretex since the late 80's, in particular the original survival aids bivvi bag which allowed you to fully seal yourself in with a zip and velcro flap. This was great in Scotland for getting away from midges. Never once did I suffocate or get damp through condensation. Water freezing on the inside of the bag is a problem if the conditions are cold enough, i.e. sub zero, where the vapour solidifies (becomes water again) before it can escape the bag. It's happened to me once whilst bivvying at altitude.
Goretex is designed to let water vapour out/in but not liquid water, as the molecules of vapour are much smaller than liquid water. The holes in goretex (it's microporous) are designed that way. Water vapour is much bigger than the other gasses that you breath in and out, in terms of its molecule size, and so gasses pass through easily. There's no way you could suffocate.
Claustrophobia is another matter.
Thanks for the info , thats good to know :)
I have just received my DD 3x3m Tarp so I'm sleeping in the garden again this weekend, I will set up the tarp but i wont be under it unless it rains, I want to get use to sleeping in just the Bivi bag:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE