first swift

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WilS

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 3, 2008
North Wales
It's great to see them flitting about, isn't it? Seen plenty of swallows returning too, lovely time of year. :)

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
We've had scaffolding up last week and our swifts came home and were circling about, they couldnt get in. It was only up a few days but it unfortunately looks like they wont be nesting in our house this year.
Does anyone know if they'll return again next year?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Saw two swifts/swallows (can't tell the difference when they are moving about fast like that!) zipping about up the fields earlier on. They put on an impressive aerieal display.

Ditto!

We have a swift nest under the guttering of our house and you can hear the "slap" of the wings against the wall as they come into land (the only time swifts do land incidentally). Their wingspan is surprisingly large when you see them up close and, for an instant, motionless, spread against the wall before disappearing into the nest - much larger than swallows or martins. Amazing fliers - amongst my favorite of all birds and, of course, they herald the summer.

Last evening was my first sighting of a small group spiraling up to sleep (they'll typically spiral up to 10,000 ft or so before sleeping on the wing - waking up at around 2,000 ft!) - haven't heard the "slap" yet though

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
We get House Martins and ours turned up a few days ago

Housemartinnest5.jpg

They have a bit of DIY to do as one nests developed a hole during the winter.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Usually we get the swallows back first, then the house martins, then the swifts last of all. The swallows have been around a while, I haven't seen the martins at all yet and it was clearly just an odd swift passing through as there's no sign of any more ... mind you it's been raining solidly most of the day!

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Saw two swifts/swallows (can't tell the difference when they are moving about fast like that!) zipping about up the fields earlier on. They put on an impressive aerieal display.

Swallows have the long tails, swifts are nearly all dark in colour and have the biggest wingspan, and martins have mainly white bodys with dark wings...
I have seen plenty of swallow but no swallows or martins yet...

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
whilst we are on swift and swallow facts...

The two aren't even closely related. Its convergent evolution - they share the same niche lifestyle so their bodies have evolved to the same shape.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE