first spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Well started my first spoon today with the mora and cheap axe.Must say not brill but really enjoyed it, found it really relaxing and just know the next one is gonna be better.:)
Haven't put a pict up yet as its a bit of an eye:lmao: sore.......cherry prob not the best wood to start greenwood carving but it was going in the bin so thought I would have a play.
D

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I love cherry just never done much with it couldnt just bin it. Really improved my knife skills although I am wearing gloves at the mo as still got a gammy thumb......quick question John how long do I leave the spoon b4 sanding? I take it does need a bit of time b4 sanding?
Great stuff though quite addictive D

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I love cherry just never done much with it couldnt just bin it. Really improved my knife skills although I am wearing gloves at the mo as still got a gammy thumb......quick question John how long do I leave the spoon b4 sanding? I take it does need a bit of time b4 sanding?
Great stuff though quite addictive D

Yes, you will need to let it dry thoroughly before sanding and oiling. Its best to let things dry slowly and naturally, to reduce the risk of the wood splitting as it dries. put in a brown paper bag and leave in a airy place out of direct heat. Will take as long as it takes to dry, anything from a few days to a few months for bigger stuff. You could risk it and put it in the airing cupboard, but it could warp or split...

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Last week was one of my worst at work ever.

I went to the woods with some sharps and an hour later had a spoon and a smile.

It's worth it, isn't it?
Sure is mate.....
Tommy, start off by selecting your wood, if you want an eating spoon, select a piece about 2 inches in diameter by about a foot long, whittle it down to a very basic shape, ie thinner for the handle with the bowl bit being left as it is for now. Dont take the handle down too much to start with, leave it too big on purpose for now. Next, start on the bowl bit, make it flat on top, the full thickness of the wood you are using and start to round off the underside into a basic spoon shape. Now to get more accurate, get a pencil and draw on the wood a spoon, the size and shape you want it, then carve down to the marks, and gorge out the bowl....
Others will have their own ways of doing it, but that is how I do mine..
Hope that makes sence to you...

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Great feeling isnt it.
Get a piccy up i love seeing other peoples work.
No matter what the quality is.
My first spoon is the only one i have managed to finish without breaking it.
I have got to learn more accuracy.
Mors try stick here i come:rolleyes:

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Thanks guys, John your tips make perfect sense.
I realised quite quickly that wood selection as well as thickness of material was an important part of the process. Shame I picked cherry and a piece that I should have cut into quarters before starting the spoon!!!( Its made it hard work)
Dunno about putting up a pic?!
essed around with the handle too much so now it is to thin....knowing when to stop I think is my problem! Thanks Dave

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Be kind as its a work in progress!!!

The bowl needs some work...thought that I would try to get more competent with carving bowls before buying a crook knife

Handles gone too thin shouldn't mess I suppose:)
Still needs loads of work...didn't really plan to use it but thoughts were to make a stirrer rather something to eat from.:lmao: D

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Crikey Dave, you put yourself down, thats good work there, you should of seen my first attempt.
That wood looks quite dry, so you may be able to sand it as it is. If dust comes off, its dry enough, if it clogs the paper, leave it longer. Just make sure its fully dry before oiling. Any thought on oil your going to use...?

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Thanks for that. I think I enjoyed it far more than the results convey:)
My next one will be better and I think I will try for a user maybe a spork also gonna try a wood perhaps a little easier (lots of birch here)
Dave

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
Tommy, that looks very good. You've got a nice curve and shape on the underside of that bowl which shows you're quite competent with a knife.

Some sanding and a bit of oil should produce some very good results there.

Well done. :)

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
John, it has been a bit of a pig to carve to be honest but as I am new to this obviously I have very little reference. My neighbour cut down the tree (well heavy pruned) only a couple of days ago when I peeled the bark of it was really wet, but I have found really dry spots in the wood.
I actually stored it over night in my water but which was recommended on here.As for oil what are your thoughts I have no idea?!? Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE