First Solo overnighter coming up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Hey folks
So it looks like my night out on Sat is going to be my first solo.
Its not exactly too far off the beaten track (about 100m from some farm houses)
But i do have a rather over active imagination so it could be fun.

I can see me sleeping in my boots with a knife in each hand waiting for the werewolf in the bush to attack.......

Could be fun.............:yikes:

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
congrats! You'll have a ball. Look at it this way, in 99% of cases, YOU are that scary thing in the forest with the axes and knives. :p

as Dave said, don't over think it, and enjoy!

Ste

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Yep, I usually figure on being the biggest, scariest thing out there :)

An extra wee dram will help send you off too as well as having various other health benefits of course !

Cheers, Paul

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
The first time I did a solo overnighter,It was great and slept well after a small bottle of brandy ;) But it didn't stop me from dreaming of clowns attacking me in my hammock lol.But then that could of been the cheap brandy,have fun your love it :)

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
The something special your on about.......would that also be classified as unadulterated intense pant peeing fear????????

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Sleep in the open for choice. Look at the stars and listen to the night noises. Too enjoyable to allow room for fears.

Disruptive Pattern

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2014
East Coast
I can see me sleeping in my boots with a knife in each hand waiting for the werewolf in the bush to attack.......

Made me laugh, I remember the first time, the boots never came off, fully clothed, ready for action:)
It will be all strange noises to you, so the mind will wonder. But seriously have a great time and remember Hedgehogs sound like Elephants.

Just out of interest are you Tenting or Tarping.

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Dog Soldiers the night before you go makes things entertaining.

I remember watching that before going on exercise in the army.
Its amazing how a film can make 20 armed soldiers stay awake for 3 nights on the trot.......

I have done plenty of nights out before so know all the animal noises, but never on my own.

Last edited:

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
I think its going to be a matter of downing some strong alcohol before it gets dark and hope to sleep through.......lol

Im really looking forward to it, once im used to doing it at my usual camp site i can then start going further afield and doing some walking

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
Good luck, I am sure you will be fine, it is very rewarding. Even if you don't sleep much first time don't worry it will get easier. One thing I find helpful is to take a mental note of the trees and shrubs before last light, so they don't become monsters in the dark. Quite often when I am hiking solo I will sit in a potential camp and get a feel for the place an hour before dark, then push on for a little bit and double back as its getting dark. Hope you have fun.

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
You will be fine, hopefully ;-). I just last Friday did a solo overnighter on a hill. I am used to it now but even then , the mind can play tricks on you.

I swore blind I heard a female voice say " Hello " in an inquisitive voice, about an hour after I bedded down! Of course there was no-one else on the hill with me.

The trick is , I think , not to build something into something it is not.

Think happy thoughts !!!

Pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE