First Skills?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Folcwigga

Forager
Aug 11, 2009
London
Hey,

I'll be heading out for my first weekend of "bushcraft" soon, has anyone got any good ideas about what skills i should try learning first? I'm confident/comfortable camping outside, and will be taking a tent with me, but am looking to use the time to start learning some real bushcraft skills. I'm guessing fire starting and water preparation would be a good place to start?

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
do you have permission to use the place that you'll be bushcrafting? if so, do you just have permission to camp there? do yo have permission to light a fire? dig up plants? remove dead wood? remove live wood? hunt? trap? etc. tricky really to make suggestions that are definately within the law unless we know a few bits and bobs about where you're going to be.

that said, plant/tree/bird/animal/fungus ID can be done pretty much anywhere that you find yourself and keep you busy learning for as long as you want it to, and there's very little opportunity to fall foul of the law through naturalism (that's naturalism, not the other thing, loads of opportunity to get into trouble with the other thing!)

good luck with your bushcrafting adventures

stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE