First possible wolf killed by car in the Netherlands

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It's amazing how many owners who let their dogs roam, have no idea what they get up to. Many moons ago I had a German Shepherd who was pretty keen on hunting. One day I got into a converstion with a German chap & explained to him about my dog & that GSD's arn't supposed to have strong hunting intincts & he said to me " Any dog will hunt if it has the opportunity".......wise words indeed which have remained with me since.

Ironicly the one dog I ever had with absolutely NO prey drive was a wolf/malamute cross. That said, I'm sure she was a one off in that respect.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
So would I blacktimberwolf. It must be nice to live happily in harmony with head lice, cockroaches and rats.

If you get a dental abscess do you welcome it?

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
So would I blacktimberwolf. It must be nice to live happily in harmony with head lice, cockroaches and rats.

I don't live in harmony with anything, I'm a human being after all, but I have no hate nor hold the belief that the world would be better off without certain critters that some call vermin.

If you get a dental abscess do you welcome it?

Never had one but if I did I don't think I'd welcome it no; that's just daft,:p

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
We agree everyone has living things they choose to kill off. If you don't like the words that encompass the actions of "not living in harmony with anything", well, that's semantics not difference.

Behind the word vermin is hate, even disgust & those that act in considering certain things as vermin, believe they are on some sort of crusade, doing what's right, ridding the world of something they belive doesn't have the right to exist......that is quite a different matter than just dealing with things that are directly harming you in some way.....a little more than semantics I think.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Even more amazing how many that get upset when someone slots their sheep worrying vermin!

When we had the hillfarm the worst offenders were border collies, seemed quite a few people moved into the area and got a sheepdog as a pet and let them roam all over the place.
Its also quite possible that in a farming area border collies were the most common breed.
Thing is that the instincts that make them such good sheepdogs are the same instincts that made wolves good hunters.

Having said all that we have a sheepdog as a pet here.

Oh and someones Mastiff took a few sheep out as well.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Behind the word vermin is hate, even disgust & those that act in considering certain things as vermin, believe they are on some sort of conquest, doing what's right, ridding the world of something they belive doesn't have the right to exist......that is quite a different thing than just dealing with things that are directly harming you in some way.....a little more than semantics I think.:rolleyes:

I never thought of it that way. "Vermin" is to animals what "weed" is to plants. A rose is a wonderful, prized thing in your garden; but a weed in the pasture. Likewise coyote is just part of nature in the desert, but deadly vermin in the suburbs.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You are fighting with your own inferences mountainman, not meanings or implications. As soon as you choose to kill things that interfere with your quality of life, you are on thin ice condemning others for doing the same thing, simply because you don't like their term, for your actions.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I never thought of it that way. "Vermin" is to animals what "weed" is to plants. A rose is a wonderful, prized thing in your garden; but a weed in the pasture. Likewise coyote is just part of nature in the desert, but deadly vermin in the suburbs.

There is no such thing as weeds, only plants in the wrong place, likewise what some call vermin, are just animals that are able to profit, either directly or indirectly, from man in some way. :D

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
There is no such thing as weeds, only plants in the wrong place......

Actually that's what I was taught was the definition of weed; a plant in the wrong place. Grass is a weed in the vegetable garden but a crop in the pasture. Roses are an ornamental in the garden and a weed in the pasture, etc. Likewise for the definition of vermin; an animal in a place where it causes damage and needs to be eradicated (FROM THAT AREA!)

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
mountainman,

Your hate is blinding you :D.................what we are discussing is motivations & emotions. Someone killing a mouse because it's eating their bread is quite a different matter than hating all mice & killing them at every opportuntity available.because they consider them as vermin. If you can't see the difference, then there's no point in going any further with this.;)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Whoops wrong user name there - sorry

Anyway - you appear to object to a term, not an action

The term is defined by Oxford dictionaries as

wild animals which are believed to be harmful to crops, farm animals, or game, or which carry disease, e.g. rodents:

You may not like the word, but it appears to accurately define the type of animals that you choose to kill.

Objecting to the accurate use of a term seems to be a little childish to me.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
You may not like the word, but it appears to accurately define the type of animals that you choose to kill.

I don't choose to kill anything & avoid it if I can. When I said not living in harmony with anything didin't imply that I kill everything that bothers me.

Objecting to the accurate use of a term

Well BR you do use the term a lot & for critters that you simply don't like, maybe that's the problem. It's never rational.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Now there's a quote I agree with. Neither side is going to convince the other to accept their point of view anyway. Agree to differ.

I'm more interested in whether it is confirmed as a wolf or not.

Agreed. As for the wolf, after the autopsy they are 98% sure it's a wolf, according to this article:

http://www.telegraaf.nl/binnenland/21714793/__Naturalis___doodgereden_dier_wolf___.html
(Well, it's in Dutch so you only have to follow the link if you don't believe me:) Does have some video of the results of the autopsy, but again in Dutch.)

The real question that DNA research still has to find an answer to is: is this a wild wolf from Germany? Or is it an illegal pet that had escaped? I'm hoping it's the first option but you never know.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE