First Newborn Reptiles of 2012 (VERY PIC HEAVY)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Yeah, no problem there Mary. Slow-worms are found right up to the north coast. They like a nice big compost heap and plenty of tangled grass to hide in when moving. You rarely see them on the surface compared to other reptiles and are almost subterannean in their habits.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Excellent! and to add, there are now two of you to get a soak on...................

green-pistachio.jpg

:D

The whole place has been flooded over with all this rain mate. It's like a bog in there as it is right on the bend of the river which has constantly been bursting its bank at that point. Our friendly neighbourhood nut mucher would have a hard time of going there at the moment unless we get some dry spells.

Moose-girl has been wanting to go and watch the otters, but it's not poss at the mo.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
This was the only creature that would let me get within a foot of it and stopped still. Even then it just looked at me hoping I hadn't noticed. They are cocky little buggers when they are on this grass. All they have to do is just drop through it and they're gone within milliseconds. I think that's why they were so brave. The ones on ground level were gone just as I was noticing them. Trying to turn a camera on and waiting for it to make ready wasn't going to work.

21Aug201274.jpg

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Really great to see stuff like this. I found a clutch of grass snake eggs in my composter last week so I'm keeping an eye out for young snakes now.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
:D That was a good ramble :approve: well done managing to capture so many with photos too :cool:
Thank you for sharing.

JD......would slow worms survive up here ? There's plenty of food if they like slugs and I can keep cats and hoodie's away from them.

cheers,
M

They're certainly in the Galloway forest airt Mary.
Gaz found one at the last Glentrool meet.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
That's fantastic! Quite the selection of wildlife you saw! Is that typical for the area?

Only from a herpetologists point of view. I saw plenty of other stuff, but when snakes are your job, you do get blinkered slightly. I saw a little owl and sparrowhawk, but they only managed to stop me mid stride as I looked up. Adders were my quarry.

This is my place, spot the Emma-ness there.

LO.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE