First injuries of 2013

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Anyone else chopped anything off or had anything stitched up yet? :D

Fell over yesterday morning, and landed with my full 14 stone on a stick, which was stuck in the ground.

1cm diameter, travelled 7cm into my body, LIF Fossa, thankfully missing organs, bowel and stomach. If I hadnt been wearing a thick knitted top, I think it would have come out my back.

As soon as I got to the hospital, I was immeadiatly pushed to the front of the queues, seen by 3 doctors, a surgeon, [who all had a go sticking their entire fingers in up to the hilt,:rolleyes:] CT scan, and the registrar, and admitted to the surgical ward.

Im pretty accident prone. :rolleyes: [Week before I shoved a barbed size 12 treble hook through my finger and the nail]

I have to say the NHS doctors and nurses were absolutely great. If youre gonna injure yourself, a stab wound is a good one to go for. You get pushed right to the front of the queue. :D

No stitches, in case an absess formed. Theyve just stuffed it full of sorbsan ribbon with a medical probe in the end.

Dont know how I would have fared if I had been somewhere remote.

IMG_20130110_132907_684-1.jpg

Last edited:

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
That sounds like a close call mate.Fate is smiling upon you.
Or having a joke at your expense , depending on your viewpoint I suppose.
You take care of it and keep us up to date.A friend had a similar result before Christmas when he fell from scaffolding onto an iron rod.
He was similarly fortunate in that it missed all the important bits and he is healing well.
Take advantage of the rest.
Simon

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yes, I was told I was lucky.

I gave myself some stick, as I should have twigged sooner how deep it was. I might branch out into pyrography now I have some recovery time.

Last edited:

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Ouch! Looks like you tore yourself a new belly button!

Accident prone maybe, but equally lucky too :)

Sent from myPhone

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
I like the idea that as soon as someone gets injured, their first thought is to take a photo of it for the rest of us! It could be the start of a new trend, who can photograph their worst injury before seeking medical attention - only a competition for the hardcore, though!

Hope you heal fast, Dave.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
wow mate.
Close call indeed!
Wish you a speedy recovery and remember chicks dig scars..... or you will at least have a story to tell around the campfire and the scar to prove it!;)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Nice looking blog Ron! Shall have to have a good look through it.
Humour aside, I have an underlying medical condition, which can be very debilitating. Still havent accepted it yet. One of the side affects is chronic fatigue, and I know that played a part in me stumbling. But you dont expect to be injured by falling on a stick though, do you...Ah well. Live and Learn. :)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Oh wow, excellent injury! I'm impressed. You did it properly, didn't you? :cool:

This now means that the bar for the quality of injuries in 2013 has been set pretty high. I wonder who will have a go at beating you?

Now, where did I put my axe...?

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Oh wow, excellent injury! I'm impressed. You did it properly, didn't you? :cool:

This now means that the bar for the quality of injuries in 2013 has been set pretty high. I wonder who will have a go at beating you?

Now, where did I put my axe...?

I had a close encounter oif that kind and got away with a almost-near-mis. Alomst because I did hit my right indexfinger with a 2kg splittingaxe right on the first joint, near mis, because I still have it (the finger) and all I had was a bruised joint and some torn skin.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Ouch! That was a very valiant sacrifice on your part ... could have done with a bit more pic-heavy :lmao: On a more serious note, do take care, know what it's like to fall about when others are apparently standing up fine. I fell on a stick toto, in me leg, and it's a bit of a facer to accept things. Good luck with it mate :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE