Almost fatal in Borneo 2013

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MORFY

Jan 13, 2013
surrey
I cant believe that it has been a year since I came onto this forum looking for Burgan advice for a rough camp Pennine walk, and got lost in the threads, ending up in Borneo.
Truth is that it was a long held ambition of mine to get into virgin jungle rain forest before it's all lost to the loggers.
Secondly I had a latent interest in how indigenous peoples live in these environments.
So through the links and other searching I came across "Woodsmoke" an outfit run by Benn McNutt who was one of Ray Mears' original disciples.
This was to be a 2 week expedition to explore both of the above objectives.
The 1st week was spent outside the remote (light aircraft, dugout canoe, hike) village of Long Karong. Here we learnt about the skills and knowledge of the local Penan Indians. Their life style, food, and forest skills which involved short trips deeper into the forest to find materials like bamboo rattan, and learn about some of the plants and trees they use.
The second week was spent on foot, in the jungle crossing many many rivers and climbing high into the forest covered hills.

It rained every night and on most days during the day. Then the sky would break and sun pushed the temp up to around 50 deg and 98% humidity. A challenge when climbing an exposed 60 deg mountain side!
The need for hydration and keeping the body cool is a constant priority, so the rain and frequent rivers were a blessing. The Penan have no word for "inclement weather"

The nature of an expedition is that not everything can go to plan, and there were a few issues which held us up.
One can't plan for the type of people who turn up and go off piest or language difficulties with guides who may have misunderstood the mission plan. It is after all their home and culturally a bunch of white people who want to walk up and down forested mountains in blazing heat and rain for fun is somewhat implausible to them.
In the main, good health was maintained, we only had one retiree who declared himself unfit for the jungle hike and stayed in the village. The rest of us with only one or two exceptions suffered with foot rot in varying degrees. Cuts and grazes too needed constant attention to prevent infections.
The evening routine thus becomes; tarp and hammock up, kit stowed away from bugs, fire and water, bathing, food and as darkness sets in one has an hour of hammock time attending to cuts grazes bites stings and foot rot.
All part of the experience, and if you like a fixed itinerary and someone to cook for you, or you're a little short on patience then this is not an environment for you. They say the jungle is a mood enhancer. If you're a bit fed up in the morning, you will be positively suicidal by the time you're fire has gone out for the third time in the evening. On the other hand, a positive start and you'll have the best day ever. Fortunately we were a good dynamic and got on very well with each other and nobody got themselves decapitated in the night!

The one dampener for the whole trip for me started a few days after returning.
It would seem that although I had left the jungle, the jungle had not left me. I had a hitch hiker!
It all went wrong on Mon 16th Dec. Flue like symptoms which disappeared over night only return whilst at work around midday. Aches behind the eyes, and kidney area, shoulders etc. By the time I got home around 3pm I had full on teeth chattering shakes and so drank a pint of water and went to bed. That night I had really bad sweat fever that soaked the bed, and a bit more of the shakes.
Couldn't get docs appointment until Thurs 19th at 11am. She did the usual bits and said my temp was a little high and probably ought to go to the hospital for blood checks. ....Now would be good.
A&E took their usual 4 hours to see me. By the time I got in front of the registrar, no bloods had been taken, but they established blood pressure had dropped and I was running a temp of 39.8 (103.6).
I was immediately admitted and put on IV fluids.
Then I start to get a bit hazy. They stuck a catheter in, twice cos the first didn't work properly. When the second stopped working they realised something else was wrong. By that time blood pressure was dropping fairly rapidly.
They were convinced I had Malaria, no matter how many times I explained I'd taken the meds and had no bites. Eventually they decided it might not be Malaria and gave me an IV antibiotic. This on top of what was now 8 litres of saline, several of some kind of electrolyte replacement, and IV paracetemol.
Then I had a massive seizure of the shakes, lasting about 15-20 mins, vomiting and the ****s.
I was now not too aware of what was going on. A doctor came down and told someone off about monitoring something or other and I recall taking an interest in blood pressure readings which had been falling all night and had been 60/40, which is not a good figure. It was now Friday evening around 6pm. I remember looking at the monitor and recall seeing 40/30. Even I know that’s not good! and I wondered at what point the heart starts to cavitate! After that I don't know. I was mostley unconscious. At some point I was vaguely aware of being transferred to a trolley and being hurried away with a great deal of fuss, but strangely not caring at all about what was happening. I remember being softly spoken to and things being done with quiet efficiency.
I came to a few hours later to find myself in ITU with a IVs in both arms and cannula central line in my neck attached to a Christmas tree of drug bags and fluids.
4 hours later I was able to dopily sit up and talk. Turns out that Blood pressure had sunk rapidly; septicaemia had set in, leading to kidney failure and other organ damage.
Without being too melodramatic, It could have been the worst possible Christmas especially as the hospital for whatever reason had failed to tell my wife I was in a bit of trouble and been transferred from the ward. The first she new was she came to visit the next the day.
I was six days in ITU being stabilised, before spending another 3 on a ward for observation.
I lost over a stone in weight couldn't talk without losing my breath.
Even now there has not been a diagnosis. All the tests came back negative and I'm still having regular blood tests to monitor body chemistry returning to normal.
The hosp favour Dengue fever, but I think Leptospirosis for very specific reasons.
They also say that had I not been as physically fit as I was, (they particularly liked my heart)! Then the outcome would have been very different.

Really, on expeditions like these, it is important to maintain a level of fitness. I'm no gym hound but preparation I believe saved my life.

The whole thing has put a bit of a dampener on the trip and though I would go back without a moments hesitation, I could not with clear consciousness put my family through that kind of worry again so with massive regret I think its deepest darkest Bournmouth next time!

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Wow, that's some trip report and a life changing experience. I hope you make a full recovery and can laugh it off as one of life's major lessons.

Many thanks for sharing this with us.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Phew! What a report that was! Sounds like you had a great trip, but the aftermath was even more epic. And you still don't know what it was? That has to be a bit of a worry.

Lots to take out of the that report though, and the bit about fitness should hit home to a few of us who, like me, are carrying a few more pounds (stones in my case) than they used to.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Glad you pulled through, that sounds horrendous, I hope you get to the bottom of it one day if that's still possible. If you weren't bitten does that mean you picked it up in your water?

Ben and Lisa run some great courses and expeds, I did a charity weekend with them about ten years ago and it got me back outside again after a long lay off. The idea of a jungle trek is probably my worst nightmare though, I'm not one for heat, humidity, huge bugs, snakes and constant wet, I'd never get any sleep.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Jeez!

I read a quote the other day that went a little like this: "It's not an adventure until something goes wrong."

I know you'd have wanted this to turn out differently, and must have been nerve racking for you & your family - but what an adventure - possibly of a lifetime. At least you've done it :)

Oh, and

I'm not one for heat, humidity, huge bugs, snakes and constant wet, I'd never get any sleep.

Ya big girls blouse ;)

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Great report describing a great trip, pity about the mystery illness and I very much hope that whatever it was, is well and truly "past-tense".

I've had very bad dysentery, no picnic that, it took weeks to get over, over a year to regain the weight loss and it periodically reoccurred once or twice a year for around 10 years after that, nothing serious, just a wee reminder that would lay me low for a day or so.

Only had self induced issues since, eg 8 pints and a vindaloo :eek: I thought dysentery was bad, but what you describe above puts that into perspective.

That was a very close call that, thanks for sharing.

Uilleachan

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
That sounds a tad unpleasant!
I hope you have made a full recovery.
I had issues in the jungle (Thailand) when a minor fever decided to get out of hand. It proved impossible to lose the body heat that the fever generated and I went into a heat spiral. Luckily I was evacuated to an American style hospital a couple of hours away and a combination of drugs (which killed the fever) and Air Con (which got me cooled off) saw me discharged in a matter of hours. I felt dreadful for about a week and "off the beat" for about a month but then was fine.
Your experience sounds a LOT worse!
I hate the jungle: constant heat, wet, sweat, rot and disease. Give me snow, desert, savannah, rivers or temperate climes any day!

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Firstly, i'm glad your better. That was a great read that. Really enjoyed it. Don't be put off, doing something similar in the future. Although you were unlucky, try not to let it be your abiding memory. I love the jungle, I hate the bugs and spider's but you have to take the bad with the good.
Look forward to reading about your next adventure.
Best wishes
Ammo.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Fascinating post - glad you survived it all!

Must admit that I'm with JF on climate, with a strong preference for the snow!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That sounds absolutely brutal :sigh:
Having seen how fast my son went down with a buggit here that had some of those effects :yikes: to not even be sure of what you had or what they were treating your for, must have been scarier yet.

I'm glad you're on the mend, I hope there are no lasting repercusions, and I'm certain your family are feeling relief that you're healing and more that you're not doing it again.

Thank you for posting; if it helps make folks aware that feeling squick after such a trip needs attention now, then it's a very timely piece of advice.

I admit, despite being offered such trips, I'm sticking firmly to the cold, damp and temperate bits of the world. Clegs and midgies are bad enough.

cheers,
Toddy

MORFY

Jan 13, 2013
surrey
Gosh what a lot of replies!
Thanks guys for the comments and support.
I loved the jungle environment and would go back tomorrow if I could. I've been told the army don't do jungle expeditions of more than 2 weeks because of the risk of runaway infections reducing combat effectiveness.
I'm well on the road to recovery now, just a few shadows of the damage done to various organs remain but unlikely to be long term.
Looking forward to some UK trips as the spring creeps up on us.

Would you all be interested to know what kit survived the environment?

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
And he wasn't even going to post this thread!

Morfy, you got any photos of the trip you are OK with putting up?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE