First go at leather bottles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Lovely job - reckon you could make a bomb if you made a few up (you know craft fairs, re-enactors etc.). Lovely work (I'm first in the queue when you turn pro) :red:

Red

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I'm inspired now. I made a nice looking one a few months ago but completely ballsed it up by using brewer's pitch to seal the inside. Unforunately I didn't get ALL of the sand out, and the pitch only stuck to parts of the inside and came away from the parts where sand still adhered. I only found out when I put water in and it got lots of damp patches. I then tried adding more pitch and that set all lumpy inside and round the neck of the thing. In the end I gave up on it.

However, now you've explained the way you did the wax, it seems much more possible to get a watertight finish. I might make one in a couple of weeks after I finish the capote coat.

Eric

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Ohhh, I'm gonna have a go at this. I have a load of beeswax mixed with a little carnuba that I use for hot wax dipping sheaths. I keep it solidified in an old aluminium mess kit. I've got a big shoulder of 3.5mm veg tan too. Might be a bit thick though.

Can I ask how far did you case the leather? Was it just a surface dampen, or a deep soak?

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
IIRC I soaked the stitched leather in the sink for about 10 minutes. Until it felt "slimy" on the surface. I don't know if longer is better or worse

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
They look brilliant John.

Been cleaning up wax with a mind to trying a couple too. They're great to use, I rarely leave home without the one I got off Bardster. You get so used to the faint taste that after a while water from any other container seems to taste funny. :)

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Grooveski said:
They look brilliant John.

Been cleaning up wax with a mind to trying a couple too. They're great to use, I rarely leave home without the one I got off Bardster. You get so used to the faint taste that after a while water from any other container seems to taste funny. :)

You got that right. Its such a good taste too!

"a taste of honey....tasting much sweeter than wine" - hey at least you didn't actually hear me 'sing' it! :rolleyes:

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
Bardster said:
Seeing as there is a lot of interest in this I will write an article. Perhaps it can be included in the next BCUK magazine :D

Good Man!! I'll look forward to that - if it's half as good as your bowmaking one in the mag, it'll be excellent..

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Bardster said:
Seeing as there is a lot of interest in this I will write an article. Perhaps it can be included in the next BCUK magazine :D

Your work elsewhere on the forum certainly inspired me to give it a go... I'd like to see an article..

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Do you find that these bottles are resilient to damage? What I mean is, does the wax fall away from the inside and ruin the waterproof-ness of the thing if you bang it or drop it, or does the leather become impregnated with the wax to the point where you would have to puncture the bottle to make it leak ?

Also, does very warm weather soften the bottles at all, or do they stay rigid and watertight even if left in the summer sun?

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
If you leave them in direct hot sunlight then yes they begin to seat a bit. If left too long then the leather will soften. My battle one is a bit flat on one side where it got too hot. its still water proof though. When i say battle one i mean exactly that - its the one that goes onto the battle field with me. ( I am a viking re-enactor) To give you an idea of the robustness of this technique - wax hardened leather is used as armoour throughout history. this stuff is tough!
As far as the waterproofness is concerned the inside doesnt have to be fully lined - infact i have a couple of bottles that arent lined at all. The wax impregnates the leather completely. The only possible leak point is the seam - and if your stitching is tight - or yuo do a double row then it wont leak. and if it does just pour molten wax around the inside seam to seal it.

In hot weather a permeable leather bottle has an advantage. It will keep your drink cool as the liquid evaporates slowly through the leather and takes the heat with it. This is old mediterranean technology. Such soft bottles were used in the fields and in French go by the name of "vache espagnole" (Spanish cow).

Greek Retsina wine takes its turpentine taste from the tradition of keeping white wine in such leather bags, the seam sealed with pine tar.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE