First go at leather bottles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I read the threads on leather bottles and thought I'd have a go.. Thanks to Bardster for the advice on beeswax.

I didn't have any smooth sand to hand so I used rice to push out the leather.

Attachments

• Long_flaskStitchA.JPG
    Long_flaskStitchA.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 203
  • long_flaskFLATA.JPG
    long_flaskFLATA.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 179
  • long_flask_waxed2A.JPG
    long_flask_waxed2A.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 191

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Also had a go at a smaller round flask. It's amazing how hard the leather goes (unless I've done something wrong :eek: )

Attachments

• round_flaskFLATA.JPG
    round_flaskFLATA.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 141
  • round_flask3A.JPG
    round_flask3A.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 140
  • round_flask_stopperA.JPG
    round_flask_stopperA.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 152

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh nice, very neat :) I am impressed. :D I'd never have thought of using rice.
What weight of leather did you use? and what thread did you use to sew it with?
Are they water/spirits proof?
Sorry about all the questions but I finally got the leather stuff down out of the loft an hour ago, so I've got toys to play with :rolleyes:

Cheers,
toddy

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Thanks for the messages..
I am pleased with the results, The round one is about 100-150 ml and the long one about 600ml.
Its 3mm veg tanned leather from LePrevo. The thread is from Jane's work basket, but I think it's linen.
Both are waterproof following Bardster's advice on using beeswax. Ive tried the small one with whisky, left it for about 3 hours and it left a not unpleasant beeswax taste, same for water,
No leaks so far, I'll leave them overnight and check the state of them in the morning.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
John,
To shape them am i right in thinking you soaked them when stitched together and then stretched them by filling them with rice? Or was it a different process?

Thanks.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
andyn said:
John,
To shape them am i right in thinking you soaked them when stitched together and then stretched them by filling them with rice? Or was it a different process?

Thanks.
Yep thats it exactly

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Thats fantastic work - nice one!! and yes it really does go that hard. if you leave it in the wax too long it starts to shrivel. like overcooked bacon ;)
They should serve you long and faithfully :D :D

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
moduser said:
Do you soak them in molten beeswax or cook them in beeswax (if so how long did them soak)?

Thanks

Moduser

I heated the wax in a tallish can till molten (being cautious about flamable heated wax and flames), warmed the leather then dipped the small round flask into the wax, both sides for about 20 seconds (I was wearing gloves and using tongs). Then I spooned in wax, swilled it round and poured it out. once it was a bit cooler I poured in a couple of spoonfuls and ran it round the inside, esp the seam. Then I let it cool.
The larger one couldnt fit in the pan (and I didnt have that much wax), but it essentially the same, except I spooned the wax over it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE