First go at a sheath- Advice needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gallatos

May 27, 2013
glasgow
So i picked up a piece of 3mm bridal leather recently and decided to make a left handed sheath with it.

Whilst waiting for an awl and leather cord to arrive in the post i decided to make a start and cut out the shape.

So i've now got my sheath cut out as one large piece and a little piece that will be stitched into the edge to make the sheath a little wider at the stitched edge (apologies for bad terminology and poor descriptions).

All good so far, my only issue is the leathers so stiff. I can barely fold it over and can't get the leather at the tip of the sheath anywhere near folded.

Is this common? am i being a spanner? what's the solution?

cheers,

John

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
The crease on thicker leather will always be stiff so don't worry. As above. Or if you have a stitch groover you can use it to run parallel lines down the inside were the crease is forming to help it flex. Think concertina principle.

Ps the bit of leather for a spacer is a welt. It protects the stitching from being cut by the blade.

gallatos

May 27, 2013
glasgow
thanks chaps.

I've seen wet forming but I'd only seen it for making the knife fit snugly into the sheath.
when my tools arrive and i.m getting ready to stitch i'll be sure to try wetforming.

Geeewizz

Nov 10, 2012
Scotland
Checkout Ian Atkinson on YouTube Leodis Leather he has loads of instructional videos.
He cuts a strip on the inside spine of the sheath to allow for easy folding...can't remember the name of the tool though!

G

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE