First ever trip out + further visits (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fergsuk

Forager
Dec 21, 2013
Leeds
So I sat here for the last hour and a bit sorting through all my pics and taking out the duplicates etc to bring the thread up to date. There are pics from 3 or 4 different trips. The little one brought 2 of her friends on separate occasions and they loved it. My sister brought a friend along who said he was into Bushcraft and the outdoors, so he put together the diamond tarp shape, something i want to practice and improve on myself. Tried some new food, chowed down on classics and generally just had a great time. The little one wanted to make cotton balls soaked in wax for her firekit and made a massive mess but they work well. Made another shelter in my old spot after letting the place rest for a while and last but not least, finally got around to having a pack large enough to delve into camping overnight. Any offers of company are welcome :D

So without further ado... (All the pictures are clickable and will take you to a larger version, where you can click again for full size if you wish. The quality isn't amazing but its better than squinting at a thumbnail :D )

With the supposed summertime on the way, it's my mission this year to meet as many of you as possible. Have a few overnighters/weekends to hone my skills and get some peace from the madhouse. I'm so glad i stumbled upon this website and forum as it's a plethora of knowledge and such a nice community in the most part. I'm definitely going to enjoy my stay. :D

Fergs

*Edit* Well the pics came out in a massive mess but i had to fix them twice to show, so i'm not going through them all again haha

Last edited:

fergsuk

Forager
Dec 21, 2013
Leeds
I haven't spent as much time as I'd like outside but I'm slowly getting there. The little un isn't so little now so sometimes she wants to spend the day vegetating but I do my best to persuade her heh :D

bridget

Banned
Apr 21, 2015
Exeter, Devon
Great thread thanks for sharing.
Glad to see that you are getting your family outdoors, learning new skills together and above all having fun!

Tony

fergsuk

Forager
Dec 21, 2013
Leeds
Thanks for all the positive replies. Such a massive difference to other online communities I've been a part of over the years. Dunno if there's a phrase to sign off with and well wish people like they do in fishing a la "tight lines" so i'm going to coin my own...

I wish you all clear skies and sharp knives

fergsuk

Forager
Dec 21, 2013
Leeds
Went out for a wander earlier on with the nippers. I even managed to convince the Mrs to come, though she'd kill me if i posted the pics i got of her haha. The kids loved it! The Mrs was telling me about her time in the Brownies as a kid and how much she likes camping, yet every time i ask her to come out, she makes an excuse. Might have to work harder to convert her properly :D

The place i go is now practically overrun with Rabbits. I'm not one for trapping etc so will be leaving them well alone but they're amazing to watch. We were only out for a couple of hours but was time well spent away from the TV/Computer/Phones.

As always, the pictures are clickable and will take you to the site they're hosted on where you can click them again for full size versions. Hope you enjoy as much as we did.

Last edited:

fergsuk

Forager
Dec 21, 2013
Leeds
Went out for a wander with the kids earlier, nice little place is "The Valley Walk". Had a little peek in the woods and came across someone's "shelter". Will definitely have to go and clean it up when i have more time.

As always the pics are clickable and will take you to Imgur where you can click again for full size versions.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Looks like your having a great time of it all.
One question, at 1.50 in the first video is she using the cutting edge of the blade to strike the ferry rod or is it just me seeing it wrong.
Either way it's good to see the kids taking an interest in it all.
Keep it up.

fergsuk

Forager
Dec 21, 2013
Leeds
One question, at 1.50 in the first video is she using the cutting edge of the blade to strike the ferry rod or is it just me seeing it wrong.
Either way it's good to see the kids taking an interest in it all.
Keep it up.

Yeah she is :(

It's entirely my fault because I haven't gotten round to filing a flat spot on the back of the blade for her to strike with. We have a striker with the ferro but it doesn't throw sparks anything like what the blade does. It's something I keep meaning to get around to and hopefully it doesn't become habit for her before I do but I take sole responsibility for it. The ferro is smaller than small and this way at least she can get a spark from it. Not perfect but hopefully adequate for the time being.

@Monkeypoker

I've gotta clear it with the Mrs first but I'm hoping to make it.

fergsuk

Forager
Dec 21, 2013
Leeds
Little bit longer than the last one. Made a few changes to the way I do things and taken some advice from members here and via comments on the video, hopefully this is a little easier on the eye with less cringeworthy moments. I hope you enjoy watching as much as I did being there.

[video=youtube;R1Nappm0k4M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1Nappm0k4M[/video]

fergsuk

Forager
Dec 21, 2013
Leeds
Almost finished. It's coming along nicely. A bit of a wild camp and some very strange noises. Can anyone ID them for me?

[video=youtube;s6roglugNgA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6roglugNgA[/video]

fergsuk

Forager
Dec 21, 2013
Leeds
Another little vid for ya.

There's gunna be another one posted either later today or tomorrow of the forum meet from Stead Hall at the weekend. Should be a good laugh. I hope the video does the meet(meat) justice ;)

[video=youtube;eWCFKbH95ts]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWCFKbH95ts[/video]

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I've only just spotted this thread. It's awesome to see a long commitment to getting out and a long commitment to documenting and posting the reports, I don't get out as much as I like to [too much going on at the moment] so it's good to see what others are getting up to.

I've not read the entire post but had a skim through and looked at the photos, I get a good sense of you learning new things, improving, dragging other people along and making it fun for them - all that and on your doorstep too, can't get much better. Keep going and have fun.

fergsuk

Forager
Dec 21, 2013
Leeds
Thanks for the kind words mousey. I did disappear from here for a little while, work kinda took over. Now I'm back to being unemployed, I have a bit more free time to play with. I'm enjoying that with the kids and we're trying to get out once a week at least.

We'll be forever learning due to the nature of this hobby/interest but that's definitely not a bad thing.

fergsuk

Forager
Dec 21, 2013
Leeds
Sorry for the double post but here's the video from the weekend forum meet at Stead Hall. Hope you enjoy.

[video=youtube;6e4MFmsqfTg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e4MFmsqfTg[/video]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE