First brew with my new woodstove (newbie lessons learnt)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Willowisp

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2013
Reutlingen, Germany
Hi there,

I've got a new Vargo hexagon woodstove (titanium) and have tried it out today afternoon in my backyard. Unfortunately I can't upload any images (yet) but I guess many of you know how the stove looks like.
Just want to give you my newbie opinion on this stove and one lesson I have learnt from my experiment with my very first woodstove.

First of all, it fired very easily with the help of a cotton ball, some dried wood shavings and my ferro rod. The chamber is pretty small (roughly the size of a clenched fist) and therefore creates a lot of heat inside, so that any new stick that is added catches fire very fast and burns quite fiercely. The draft inside this little oven is very good, with the right dry wood it does not create any smoke (also not with my US army mug on top) and burns all the wood to small white ashes.

So far so good. Now to my lesson:
I had originally planned to fire two good hand fulls of sticks and then prepare my brew with the glowing embers. But that is hardly possible since the heat is so intense that the wood burns too fast and therefore the embers are reduced to ashes very soon. Although my water became hot enough for my tea, I could not get it to a rolling boil. Before it did I ran out of wood.
From this I learnt that my Vargo (and woodstoves in general, I guess) needs constant fueling with wood and cannot work on embers alone, at least not for a time long enough to boil water.
Next time I will prepare much more wood in advance, especially when I want to brew more than just some tea, and feed it constantly so that there is a good flame throughout. So, although my woodstove does not need much wood at all, it is necessary to stay alert and add new wood all the time (roughly every ~3 minutes I'd say).

Otherwise I'm really happy with my new stove and my little late-afternoon experiment in my garden. I look forward to taking it into the woods.

Cheers
Willow

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
A few suggestions:

Try making/getting a windshield to direct the heat up the sides of your pot.

Use something to choke some of the intake air. A bit of earth pushed up across the slot at the bottom or some Al foil would do. Wood fires burn best when burning top-down.

Try putting thicker sticks at the bottom, thinner at the top and lighting the top part, letting it burn down onto the thicker wood.

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
What wood did you use as that will affect the embers. I use a volcano stove and if I fill it with pine or fir I have to constantly feed it but if I mix some oak and beech in I get more of an ember bed

Last edited:

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
Alder burns pretty fast so it might be worth mixing something else in but I suppose the price you pay for such a compact stove is small fuel capacity

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
well done on your first brew with new kit, just goes to show you should test new kit before you go out...;)

and my little top tip, if you like to keep your mug soot free wipe a thin layer of washing up liquid over the out side, when you have finished your brew wash the mug in the stream or sink and it will (mostly) com straight of, unless you have it over the fire for ages that is....

enjoy the stove chap.

chris.

Willowisp

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2013
Reutlingen, Germany
Hi guys,

thank you for your advice! Yesterday I've plundered my neighboring woods for some sticks of different kinds and will try out again, this time with some harder wood in the mix.
The tip with the soot-protection is brilliant, Chris! I will give it a go and tell you how it worked out.

Cheers
Willow

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
Part of the fun of wood stoves is the continual feeding of little bits of wood into the fire, for me anyway. It's therapeutic... and boy do I need some therapy at times!!!:rolleyes:

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
I pack my woodgas mk2 with cat litter wood pellets which I only use if I have to. The cat litter I have had burning for well over one hour. I always light from the top with a cotton Ball and allow the fire to burn its way down.

Willowisp

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2013
Reutlingen, Germany
Hi there,

I tried again this afternoon, this time minding your advice, and it worked much better!
Hazelnut was my wood of choice this time. Maybe not ideal either, but it burnt much longer and also produced some good embers. Water for two mugs full of tea was ready in roughly 8 minutes.
The tip with the washing liquid worked brilliantly! Cleaning up afterwards was a piece of cake. If only one had good supplies of this stuff in the woods all the time ;) Thank you for that tip!

Have a nice evening
Cheers
Willow

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
Hey my mate Paul was using his Vargo out on Leather Tor on saturday and he got as fast a boil as the gas burner but he did have to put a bit more wood on as he was burning douglas fir

387079_10151407115341043_243442407_n.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE