First Bow

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Picked up my first ever bow today at the Royal Cornwall Show, at £25 its gona be a beginners obviously, which is best because I dont know anything about archery to be honest.

I was wondering if there was a recommended strength for hunting small game. I think this one has a 21 pound draw, is that the correct way of putting it? Thanks for your time,

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
nice but i think bow hunting is illegal over here
leon

I did my archery instuctors course in 2002. Archery and the law were covered and unless the law has changed very recently leon-b is correct, hunting with any kind of bow is illegal in the U.K.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
leon-b is correct, hunting with any kind of bow is illegal in the U.K.
Thanks for the info guys, I had a suspicion that might be the case.

So its illegal to bow-hunt in the UK full stop? Dosent matter if your on privately owned land and its only rabbits?

I have seen some impressive bow hunting photos in the past, I thought they might have been taken in a different country. If bow hunting is illegal in the UK completely can someone give me a brief reason(s) why it was it was seen as unfit for the UK? Thanks for your time and knowledge ;)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
If I remember correctly a major part of hunting with bows being made illegal was because of the probability of wounding an animal rather can killing it cleanly.

The only animals that can be shot at are paper targets, competition type targets (I can't remember the names of the type of targets or the games) and the full size synthetic models - this last bit doesn't apply to members of the Scouting Association who can't shoot at anything that is alive or represents a living creature (real, legendary, character or fantasy).

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
A couple of years ago in Scotland, a guy hit a deer that had been trying to cross the road. The deer bounced, got up and ran away (it fled the scene of the accident officer :cop: ), the car however was a complete write off. The insurance company refused to pay out citing that it was an Act of God. The bloke turned round and said 'No it wasn't, it was a flaming deer!' :censored: :slap: :D

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Ah, Uk law again. If you run over a game animal and then stop to pick it up it's called poaching and therefore illegal. If you're travelling in convoy and someone else in the convoy stops to pick it up it's poaching. If you just happen to be driving along with the traffic and aren't part of the convoy you might still be poaching and if you stop and pick it up having not seen the incident you could still be poaching. :drive: D:oh:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
All the best Nightwalker,

Wish we could have given you the answer that you were asking for. Apologies for hijacking your thread. :sad6:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE