first attempt at spoon carving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

funky_rick

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2009
monmouth
I have made knives before, and similar, but never carved anything properly, so this is my first attempt, I got a bit carried away and chose not to do a basic spoon.

P1100173_zpse861b3e0.jpg

hope the pic works

funky_rick

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2009
monmouth
the wood is silver birch, when cut it had a black and varied colouring in it not really sure why.
my fiancee brought me some carving tools for Christmas so this was my first use of them, want to make a kuska at some point.

funky_rick

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2009
monmouth
i have 3 or 4 more pieces to use but am not sure how to treat them after, I used teak oil on this one but I also realise that this makes it non food safe. any advise welcome.

Jan 25, 2013
Gloucestershire
Wow, that's really good! :)

I've been looking at a few of the threads of peoples spoon carving efforts and I'm really intrigued. I'd love to have a go :) Are you self taught? I've had a brief Google but I'm not quite sure where to start (should probably buy a knife I suppose!) ;)

funky_rick

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2009
monmouth
It was fairly simple i guess i been watching other ideas and looking on here at how to's. got a spoon knife for Christmas and just decided to have a go requires alot of patience and time, I am sure it will be easier with more practice. along time ago when i was a scout, 20 yrs ago or so i tried to carve a wooden chain, it was a disaster, a: i did not have the patience and B the wood split as it was not dry/seasoned. until now that was my only wood carving experience.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE