First atempt at Leatherwork Advice please!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jolyon

Life Member
Feb 1, 2010
wokingham
Hi All,

I picked up a new knief at this years moot for a £10 a spyderco bushcraft G-10 :eek:. Love the knief.... dont love the sheath , so now summer has come to an end I have decided that this is as good a time as any to start some leatherwork.. so...

Any ideas?
Complete novice, so i would like to know...
What tools do I need?
Where do I get them from?
What leather?
Cord?
Any design ideas? what has and has not worked for you?

I will plan to make a photo diary as I go... dont hold your breath this could take some time..lol

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Any ideas?
practice stitching on a bit of scrap first
Complete novice, so i would like to know...
What tools do I need?
awl (or very small drill / nail in a dremel) , 2 saddlers needles, thread - you can go silly on tools (I know I have) but you can work round the lack of them most of the time - fork to mark stitches, spoon handle for burnishing etc
Where do I get them from?
ebay, le prevo or a number of other suppliers - I use Le prevo, always helpful and a pleasure to deal with!
What leather?
veg tan if you are planning to wet form otherwise any thick leather can be used - if you like the look of it it should be ok
Not sure what you mean re this

finally check out every tutorial you can find on the net - I found this one pretty helpful when I started but do a search here and on British blades - and beware! - things can get quite addictive and expensive quite swiftly if you are not careful

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE