First Aid Kits ... my Dilema

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rain man

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2006
London
Hi I had a quick search and didn't find a thread regarding this, please point me in the right dfirection if I'm wrong.

I wanted to focus on my First aid kit. I have never been really sure what to put in it and whether to have more than one, or keep modifying it depending on my trip etc.

So, you spend ages trimming down your gear and tweaking it, but how so for your trusty FAK? Light weight means losing parts of it but covering every possibility means a large FAK indeed!

So I thought I'd post mine (Before I begin to tweak) and then I'll update after a (probably) lengthy debate, to see how I got on. So here goes. I haven't looked in here for sometime so its probably awful:

This is a Boots Family FAK, in a nice green zip up bag with handy carry handle (Great for pulling out easily/quickly from lid pocket of rucksack)
Please note that the contents are no longer what came in the pouch originally. Size 22 x 19 x 7 cm

The contents:

Elastoplast Burn relief spray
TCP spray plaster
Talc
Germolene new skin
Savlon antiseptic wipes
Surgical gloves
Quikclot sachet
Gauze swabs
Large low adherent dressing pads
Medium melolin dressing pads
Smalll low adherent derssing pads
Variuos fabric strip plasters
Zinc oxide plaster tape 2 rolls
Antiseptic cream
More small antiseptic wipes
small plastc bag with Rennie and aspirin tablets in
Tweezers
scissors
Lighter
Puritabs
Triangular bandage
Steristrips/Urgostrips 3mm & 6mm
Many many different sized/types of plasters.

Wow ok some random bits in there but It's a start!

I wanted something for knife cuts and burns mostly and also I'm quite likely to do something silly like fall off somthing high and land on something sharp and really do some damage hence the Quikclot.

But it's hardly a small pack. Not very good for a stripped down walk in the woods.
Please let me know what you think. Feel free to critique it as I'm no expert.
I've read places that people carry theirs in their Possibles, is this you? Are there essentials with FAK or were these just half arsed "a couple of plasters" type kits?
Please post what you carry and preferably pictured so we can see the size.

Last edited:

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I tend to think in line with; what can happen, how do you treat it?

Bleeding: plasters for smaller wounds, larger "plasters" for larger stuff, and compresses, tape and gauze rolls (elastic is best) for the larger stuff. Carry a military field dressing for the massive ones. Quick clot is really not suitable for civilian use AFAIUI. Steristrips.

Sprains: the elastic bandage above. 1-2.

Splinters, ticks, etc: tweezers, tick removers. Needle in sewing kit, or a safety pin in the kit.

Foreign objects in the eye: some sterile saline ampoules (also good for wound irrigation). Does your compass have a mirror (Silva 15), or do you carry a signal mirror?

Perhaps something for an upset stomach. Most OTC pain killers are useless for major pain, but to each his/her own (I don't bother, others do).

Something for blisters.

Soap for cleaning hands and wounds.

If you are going far away some more items could come in handy, if you are out with a group then more of some stuff comes in handy (perhaps including some "sanitary napkins" for ladies who suffer unexpected menstruations).

Anything major is a case of stabilize and evac to proper medical care unless you really, really can't do that.

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
Good thread.

Half a dozen assorted plasters
Steristrip pack x 3
2 x Plaster strips
3 or 4 x Wound cleaning wipes
Small Savlon
8 x Ibuprofen
Small zinc oxide tape
Couple of cotton pads
Tweezers
2 or 3 Medium self adhesive dressings
3 x Compeed plasters
1 x small conforming bandage

I’ve been meaning to put a small bottle of Iodine stuff in there.
Had the space so a needle and thread is in there, razor blade, and spare AAA batteries.

All in a Police issue FAK pouch about 4” x 4” x 2”

First Field dressing always within quick reach if sharp and pointies are about.
Hand gel stuff in my pocket.

FreddyFish

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Frome, Somerset, UK
The lighter is just for size.
23022010364.jpg
23022010362.jpg
23022010365.jpg
23022010366.jpg

Now I've got to get it all back in there...

Last edited:

Rain man

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2006
London
Ok First thing I'm noticing is that I bought a large-ish bag for my FAK and have the tendancy to fill it... I'm getting rucksack deja vu...

I like that burn gel you have there, I chucked in a spray but never really liked the idea of having pressurised bottles like that, too easily peirced or the plastic nozzles usually snap off.

Ok my 2 pence on Compeed. I carried these for years til I eventaully needed them. It was so hot and I walked for so long on it they melted completely into a goo and was a pain to scrape off my skin, sock etc. Really was wierd.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
great thread chaps.- puts my cuts and bruises FAK to shame.

looks like a few more things are on the shopping list this week.

andy

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
i just take an infantry style shell dressing and duct tape, and a pair of nitrile gloves. anything i cant handle with those then im getting the pros in, anything less serious can wait till i get home.

oh i also carry bog roll and anti-histamine. obviously i have water with me for drinking so can flsuh eyes and wounds with that - not sterile i know and i would onyl do it on myself.

i also have a comprehensive first aid kit in the car

im a nurse btw and what i carry i chose, you guys should carry what you want and know how to use and what you have been advised to carry.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Quikclot has been talked about on several forums, general opinion is not to use it. When applied it creates a lot heat and can do tissue damage IIRC. There is a new version out designed for civvies and first responders I think called 'Quikclot First Response' which has less side effects it seems.

Direct pressure will do the job, hopefully Martyn will be along and help us here as its his area of expertise.

Keep your FAK simple and above all make sure you know what you are doing, all the kit in the world is worthless in untrained hands.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
My FAK is geared mainly around snake bites:

3 roller bandages
2 gauze pads
Paracetamol
Ibuprofen
Antihistamines
Imodium
Providone Iodine
2 Alcohol wipes
6 bandaids

And that's about it. I've decided to add a little to the weight by including a small tube of burn cream.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Over the years i have modified my kit to suit the usuals

Little cut, Big cut!
Burn,
Bite
Bash,
Splinter,
Hangover :eek:

Besides the usual stuff i find the bits below a helpful,

Saline solution as said above great for cleaning cuts without having to touch them. Tweesers and a few pins for the stubborn splinters and tics. Various pain killers, antihistimines(sp), heart burn tablets etc. Savalon spray and some burn Gell is also handy.

I am never usually more than an hour or so from help so i dont need the rambo sewing kit or tooth pulling pliers :D

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My problem is - as a qualified First Aider I have been trained to use certain procedures and equipment.
If I give First Aid to an individual using this kit and things go pear shaped and they want to sue me then my defence is " I was working to the best of my ability following the protocols taught me by trainer soandso - sue them!"
If I give First Aid using products and protocols that were not in that training I lay myself open to being sued in person and have no defence.
In theory I could get sued for using an elastoplast on a cut if it caused an allergic response and I had not checked with the casualty for any known allergies.
I could certainly be sued for proscribing drugs if I slapped on a Quick Clot on someone and things went badly or gave them an asprin or other drug.
It is all part of our wonderful "blame culture" - so I will stick with the tools I was trained with (mainly dry dressings) for treating others wounds and have a pouch of "my-stuff" separate to my kit for using on other folk.
As Sapper1 will tell you - if someone needs First Aid I ask to use their FAK first and move on to using my own when theirs is not up to the job....
I have seen friends sue each other before so if the use of a bit of kit from outside of training caused further injury....who knows what the results might be!

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
^^^ sensible approach, although as a qualified first aider do you have any 3rd party insurance?

as a professional i have mine through my union, but yeah stick with in the competencies your trained for. you could potentially turn a not serious injury into a serious one by dabbling or not having a proper idea i.e. drugs and anaphylaxis - which can be fatal

for example:

Sprained ankle, you can sit and wait for help etc but if you gave someone pain relief and you werent entirely sure of contra-indications, side effects, mode of action etc then it could cause an anaphylactic response which is very serious. suddenly your situation has escalated from a simple injury that you can sit and wait out for help to arrive to an incident which could result in a fatality.

Last edited:

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
I heartily agree with you both gents :)

I've given first aid (several times) on others but that was part of the job I was doing and was kitted out and trained to do so. Even then it was basics only until the terrific lads and lasses in green turned out.

The kit I carry is to patch me up, should I need it.

Cheers.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If anyone wants to sue me they can...but it would be pointless as I own next to nothing!
If I stay within the remit of my training then they can sue the organisation that trained me - much bigger bucks!
Interestingly enough there is no legal obligation to treat anyone at all - no matter how badly they are hurt, or how well you are trained unless you are getting paid to do so as a pro - like a paramedic....
Be nice to me or next time you amputate a foot cutting wood....:D

Rain man

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2006
London
Good points there about the legal side. My First Aid ran out a few years back and I haven't found the time, money or motivation to re train.
I generally like going out to places where people aren't - one of the main reasons I love the woods - so my kit is for me, or maybe my mate who I usually go with (If his was lost... or useless :rolleyes:).

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
My first aid ran out over 24 years ago. It was a st johns public first aid course done over several weeks on one evening a week and required a renewal course every 3 years. This I never did as I was only doing it for my DofE compnent and it was the easiest one to do. I did get a St Johns arecommended first aid book which even has instructions on how to help in birthing. Now that was not taught at all inthe course. A good refernence book for acccidents at home.

Personally I only carry my personal FAK which is basically plasters, insect repellant, anti histamine, germalene and various pain relieve tablets of dubious age. Basically a blister, bite, hangover and buggered ankle kit. I did have an accident requiring a large ambulance dressing once (two - one on the back of my hand the other on the front). Fortunately we had a retired MRT memeber in our group who brought out a large ice cream tub plus a smaller one full of god knows what first aid items. We are talking a foot cubed tub and one that was twice the size of a large flora marg tub. He wrapped me up and gave me something that was probably prescription only for pain relief. I took that despite my hand not hurting as I knew the adrenaline and endorphins would die down soon.

Anyway After that I added two large ambulance dressings, tape and scissors. I reckon I have just enough to cope with my limited knowledge until help. Although the kit is for me to self-administer ot for my companions or a passer-by to administer with my kit. Selfish but it is so basic that is all its for.

I also leave it home all the time and only really take it when out wildcamping. On a day trip I leave it at home, but do have one in a car kit bought from ALDI for about £3. Look out for it at ALDI or Lidl as it has a lot of stuff in it.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
My problem is - as a qualified First Aider I have been trained to use certain procedures and equipment.
If I give First Aid to an individual using this kit and things go pear shaped and they want to sue me then my defence is " I was working to the best of my ability following the protocols taught me by trainer soandso - sue them!"
If I give First Aid using products and protocols that were not in that training I lay myself open to being sued in person and have no defence.
In theory I could get sued for using an elastoplast on a cut if it caused an allergic response and I had not checked with the casualty for any known allergies.
I could certainly be sued for proscribing drugs if I slapped on a Quick Clot on someone and things went badly or gave them an asprin or other drug.
It is all part of our wonderful "blame culture" - so I will stick with the tools I was trained with (mainly dry dressings) for treating others wounds and have a pouch of "my-stuff" separate to my kit for using on other folk.
As Sapper1 will tell you - if someone needs First Aid I ask to use their FAK first and move on to using my own when theirs is not up to the job....
I have seen friends sue each other before so if the use of a bit of kit from outside of training caused further injury....who knows what the results might be!

a sad world we live in eh?

I count myself lucky to have been brought up before the PC take over - as such if something happens I know I am most likely the one to blame.

If I found myself in the situation where I required first aid - then I would be bloomin grateful to anyone who helped out.

generally speaking if I cut myself I will either leave it be - or if it is bad I will slap on a plaster :D

andy

Rain man

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2006
London
I was thinking of making the inside of my poncho sticky so that if I ever needed a huge plaster I could just roll up in it and wait for help!! :dunno:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE