First Aid Kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
I have been looking at purchasing a new first aid kit.
The life systems kits look particuly good, as they appear to be quite well priced, while still being designed for the job I have in mind
But are they good quality, or do the contents not live up to expectations?
from previous experience with such a kit (someone elses) I will be replacing the adehisive tape, but past that I have no experience with these kits.

are they worth it?

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I would make my own up including items I actually need when in the woods...

All the items I have I selected because they are good, the included "kit" items are usually low quality.

1 pair - tweezers for splinters and ticks and tricky bogeys
small roll - Gaffa tape for anything from a makshift sling to bandage to gag
1 - medium - military field dressing coz damn those things take a lot of blood, gaffa taped to the shoulder strap of your rucksack can give you the dressing and a shed load of tape.
2x - deep cut plasters because they clot well
2x - regular plasters
4x - headache tablets
6x - antiseptic wipes, good for a quick wash, cleaning a wound or making fires.

Tonedef

Tenderfoot
Dec 23, 2007
Stockport
First Aid wise, I have a generic kit I carry 99% of places.
The flowing is everything I have ever needed/ know how to use.
I'm sure there is other kit, but either I dont know how to use or can improvise.

1* 7.5cm x 4m conforming bandage.
1* 5cm x 4m crepe bandage.
2* 10x10cm wound dressing.(non-adherent)
1* 5x5cm wound dressing.
various small plasters(waterproof)
micro pore tape.
sticky fabric tape.
paracetamol
anti septic goo.
wipes.
disposable gloves.
couple pins.

In addition,
a space blanket and mil field dressing.

elevenses

Forager
Jan 7, 2008
cheshire
I have been looking at purchasing a new first aid kit.
The life systems kits look particuly good, as they appear to be quite well priced, while still being designed for the job I have in mind
But are they good quality, or do the contents not live up to expectations?
from previous experience with such a kit (someone elses) I will be replacing the adehisive tape, but past that I have no experience with these kits.

are they worth it?

i've never used one of these but have used a webtex one. the plasters in the webtex are not great and I prefer antiseptic liquid rather than wipes to flush out rather than wipe the dirt in.

from my experience the things you will need most will be antiseptic, plasters and blister dressings, burn gel, bug / bite spray, tweezers, needle/pin for blisters. pain reliever. But occasionally you may need a bandage for larger wounds, support bandage and a triangular bandage. Maybe some Dioralite or the like for dehydration (depending how much alcohol you drink) :)

I believe it is better to make your own kit for what you expect you will need due to the activities you are doing.

so for most bushcraft you have to consider

small scrapes from thorns and branches
cuts from sharps like a knife
blisters
bite's
burns / scalds
headaches and hangovers
and then worst case stuff like
axe wounds
broken bits
twisted ankle / wrist
puncture wounds

One thing i would like to mention is, if you do get a tick as mentioned earlier never grab the body to remove as this makes the tick disgorge all its contents back into your blood stream, increasing the risk of infection and lyme disease. The latter not being great to play with. If you are in a high risk area for ticks my advise would be to get a tick remover for the sake of a couple of quid.

hope it helps I dont want to teach anyone to suck eggs sorry if you already knew this

M

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Keep an eye out in supermarkets. I got a very good kit on sale in Tesco. At this time of year they may start selling off travel ones as people will start buying less holiday stuff.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
i've never used one of these but have used a webtex one. the plasters in the webtex are not great and I prefer antiseptic liquid rather than wipes to flush out rather than wipe the dirt in.

I'm replacing a web-tex one. most of it wasn't too great.

Maybe some Dioralite or the like for dehydration (depending how much alcohol you drink) :)

being a good law abiding 16year old (oxymoron?) i don't drink. much. certainly not enought to need rehydrating. some camps we might have a beer in the evening, but that's fairly unusual, explorer camps are strictly dry. (but we're all so caffinated you can't tell ;) )

Tonedef

Tenderfoot
Dec 23, 2007
Stockport
why sanitary towels?
incase one of the girls on camp run out?

I would assume as a temp field dressing, but i'll wait for the proper answer.

Saying that for miltary field dressing St Johns ambulance do them for a few squid a piece.
(I have no connection to the above)

T.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Bearclaw Bushcraft used to sell the Tracpac military first aid pouch...

http://www.polimil.nl/acatalog/Tracpac___First_Aid_Kit__8_14.html

The contents weren't up to much, but the pouch was a good size (5" by 5"), well made and had lots of internal dividers and pockets.

On top of everyone else's advice, have some rennie in there and a tube of super glue can be very handy for filling up holes and sticking bits back together, just be careful with the stuff :D

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
the old style US issue kits are good for the money with room for extra bits and bobs.

2 decent wound dressings
1 triangular bandage
plasters
lip salve
iodine
eye pads and ointment
pill containers

add a few extras and your sorted.

elevenses

Forager
Jan 7, 2008
cheshire
plastic bags are good for large burns and as impromptu gloves, I must admit I have 2 in mine as always good to keep body parts like fingers and teeth (I have had to do this :( )

I also carry a face shield for resuscitation and a sugar sachet from a rat pack for if anyone goes Hypo

my kit is more like a group leader kit rather than a personal kit though. :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE