First aid kit

bingobadgo

Jan 13, 2007
England
Everybody should have a first aid kit when they are outdoors, so what items should i pack in mine? I want to be able to treat all minor injuries i am likely to encounter outdoors in the UK, and stabilise major traumas in preparation for hospital. I am looking for advice on what items i should carry, or is there a recommendation for a pre-packed kit that would cover most things? I already have the basic iodine/elastoplast/gauze roll/non-absorbent pad kit but want to expand it into something more substantial. I am looking for something that would be suitable for a group of up to 4 adults, and pack down into a bag like the Endom Fatty Wide Load (i dont know if you allowed to post links to commercial sites or not but Google it if you want) which is 12"x6"x5". Please give me some pointers, and tips about useful kit to pack. Is it worth bothering with Quikclot and compreession bandages in case of major bleeding or are thay going over the top? Any advice will be very gratefully received.

D

deezee_uk

Crikey, stabilise a Major Trauma! I assume if this is one of your goals then your first aid trained, in which case, can't you use your training to build a first aid kit? I know on my courses they gave me a first aid kit contents list, but I don't actually like these.

Instead I opt for taking with me everything to treat the little things, so its more of a camping medical kit, that a first aid kit. For instance, I have some eyewash, eye patch, finger bandage, butterfly stitches,burnpads and pills in mine, which you hardly get in normal first aid kits. Its not to say I don't have all the various pads bandages,tape, plasters and wipes for emergencys, I just think people forget the little injuries that can ruin a trip.

Anyway I digress. Major trauma, well there is no point having anything unless you know how to use it, so what training do you have for major trauma, and what are you trying to prep for? What climate are you going in? and for how long. Oh and the biggest point... how far will you be from the emergency services?

B

bushyboo

We take the usual first aid kid plasters bandages sterile wipes ect ect but we also take a doggy bandage incase the dog gets cut.
You can get them from the vet you just clean the wound and wrap a bit of it on, as it sticks to itself it dosnt need tied

just a thought if your four legged friend goes with you

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
deezee_uk said:
Crikey, stabilise a Major Trauma! I assume if this is one of your goals then your first aid trained, in which case, can't you use your training to build a first aid kit? I know on my courses they gave me a first aid kit contents list, but I don't actually like these.

Instead I opt for taking with me everything to treat the little things, so its more of a camping medical kit, that a first aid kit. For instance, I have some eyewash, eye patch, finger bandage, butterfly stitches,burnpads and pills in mine, which you hardly get in normal first aid kits. Its not to say I don't have all the various pads bandages,tape, plasters and wipes for emergencys, I just think people forget the little injuries that can ruin a trip.

Anyway I digress. Major trauma, well there is no point having anything unless you know how to use it, so what training do you have for major trauma, and what are you trying to prep for? What climate are you going in? and for how long. Oh and the biggest point... how far will you be from the emergency services?

All solid points here. "Major trauma" means different things to different people, but we were trained to use triangle bandages and gauze for pretty much everything the backcountry can throw at us. Impaled on a branch? Triangle bandage doughnut and pack the bugger with gauze. Oozing head wound after taking a header off your bike into the rocky streambed? Gauze and a bandage to hold it on. Broken femur after a climbing accident? Improvise your bottom off; We were trained to use hiking poles or the like and whatever you could lay your hands on (climbing ropes, triangle bandages, webbing) to traction the leg so the quadricep doesn't contract the fracture and make it worse. And so on.

Beyond bandages (triangle and band-aids), gauze, horse tape (disposable tensor bandage), antiseptics, blister and bite remedies, we carry a Sam Splint for stabilizing breaks. That's about it.

EdS

super glue and duck tape. No honest.

Duck tape great for keeping dressings dry and clean. Super glue - I've stuck many cuts together rather bleeding all the way to E&A to have them stitches, including the time a cut my shin to the bone with a billhook (nasty, the blood left a rusty patch on the hooks cutting edge).

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hi Bingobadgo
I agree with deezee on several points that training and knowledge beats gear, after all isn't that one of the biggest bushcraft themes!
In addition to a mobile phone/radio. I like to take two kits which cover lots of scenarios. So what I go for is a small kit containing all the useful bits and bobs like deezee has and this is personal which each of your party should have and tailor to themselves (or are issued to them in a standard format).
The second pack is a trama pack. This dosn't have to be too large however as there are few places in the UK that are so removed from the emmergency services as to require anymore kit.
So what goes in it? The best course here is to follow H,A,B,C,D,E or Hazard, Airway, Breathing, Circulation, Disability, Environment and to carry kit to deal with scenarios in each letter therefore a comprehensive kit may include the following in that order: Medical gloves, EMT shears, Face shield or mask, Aspirator, Oral and Nasal Airways, Ashermans Chest Seal, 14g Cannula, Stethascope, First Field Dressings, Crepe Bandages, Sam Splint, Triangular bandages, Pen torch, Hypostop gel. Casualty reporting card and pencil. Blizzard bag/blanket or some means of protection in a cold environment (sleeping bag etc).
As im trained to Ambulance Technichian level this is a kit I might consider however there is no point carrying kit you dont know how to use or for injuries you dont know how to treat so this could be slimmed down considerably!
As you can see this is very comprehensive and some of the items can be inprovised (bandages/dressings) or are carried as standard outdoor kit (torch).
Perhaps the best course of action in building a kit is to carry out a hazard analysis, for instance if your group are using knives then lots of dressings are apropriate, if you are hillwalking then the emmergency shelter is apropriate.
Hope this helps Ed :)

bingobadgo

Jan 13, 2007
England
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am currently trained for First Aid at Work, as i work in construction, but i intend to improve on this soon. I probably used the wrong phrase when i said majr trauma, I meant heavy bleeding and the like. I mentioned Quikclot and compression bandages because i have a friend who is a reservist in the US military and they have them issued in their individual first aid kits, but i wasnt sure if it would be overkill for going out to the woods in the UK. I am thhinking along the lines of two packs, a first aid kit for minor injuries and another kit for more serious injuries (breaks, bleeding and the like). Can anybody recommend me a good outdoors first aid course in the South East so i can improve my skills? I know the basics, but i want to be ablt to treat anyhting i encounter when i am out.
Also what do you tend to keep your kit in? I am leaning toward the idea of a seperate pouch on the outside of my main bag so i can access it easily.
Thanks again, and keep the suggestions coming!

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
I've heard good things about the Adventure Medical Kits (in particular the Ultralight and Watertight 5). They are made by the same company that does the Pocket Survival Pak (Doug Ritter).

From what I've seen they have very good quality contents. Small things such as sliver gripper tweezers etc that normally cost about £4 - £5 (on some well known websites ;) ) are included in the over all cost. In the UK you can get them at Kitmonster (www.ukkitmonster.com) and I think outdoorcode may be able to get his hands on them. If they don't have the one you are after it maybe worth asking as they maybe able to do a special order.

They also do a range of professional/mountain leader packs as well as tailored packs for canoeists, hunters etc etc.

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Bingobadgo,

If it's any help this is what is in my day bag - this is the bag I use when going to work or out for a ramble in the woods for less than a day.

1 X Large Sterile dressing
1 X Medium sterile dressing
1 X traingular bandage
10 X assorted plasters
3 X Antiseptic wipes
1 X latex gloves
1 X Resus face shield

Anything else I might need I can improvise.

The kit doesn't take up much room in my bag so it never gets taken out.

The first aid kit in my rucksack has a lot more stuff and doubles as a medical pouch as it includes basic drugs like Asperin etc and a SAM splint.

As my day FAK includes 2 reasonably large dressing and a triangluar bandage that doubles as a pad it is capable of treating 1 major wound.

There has been a couple of threads on FAK's including complete listings so maybe worth a search.

Key thing is don't carry stuff you do not know how to use. Focus on what's important - a quick risk assessment on what type of injuries are most likely and what you need to deal with them, i.e. knife cuts from small nicks to accidental stabbing, burns and scolds, twisted ankles or broken limbs etc. Different activities have different risks.

Let us all know how you get on.

david

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I think there maybe a few St Johns ambulance guys about here :rolleyes: Yes i agree it would be nice if we were all trained first class first aiders but the reality is we are not all trained. Our man here was askin for some basic first aid kit advice incase somthing like a bad cut or chop happened. Would you say that he should watch the poor guy squirtin everywhere and say "sorry i didnt prepair for that as i am not trained in major trauma" bit sarcastic but not meant to be......

I carry stuff to wash out a wound if not a squirter and some steri gause/pressure pads, sniper tape, bandages and the usual plasters, painkillers, tape etc and it generally all fits in a small 8inch by 6inch by 2 inch soft bag (should be easy to access in your kit as trying to dig it out whilst bleeding everywhere is a pain in the ***) :rolleyes:

The main thing is our kits there for your every day cuts and bashes and the bandage, pressure pads, tape etc to plug any holes whilst speeding the victim to somone who knows what there doing ie a doctor !

Oh and the point about a phone being a good part of your kit agreed !

bingobadgo

Jan 13, 2007
England
That is what i was getting at. I have some training but not a lot, which i intend to remedy, but in the meantime i am trying to compile a lsit of useful items i can add to my list. As we all know it takes time and money to get trained, both of which are in short supply at the moment, so i would rather get some kit together while i have the opportunity instead of waiting until after i get some more training. Thanks for all of your help so far, the course mentioned sounds right up my street but i dont think the mrs would be keen on me staying away at the moment (small baby at home). Does anybody know of any others that arent residentials?

DZ-Y

Aug 9, 2006
Netherlands
If you are going with a group of people with knives and evening bon fires, there will likely be a lot of little cuts, some superficial burns and blisters. So there should be enough in the light kit to treat these.

Also I think no one mentioned a tick removal tweezer. It seems a lot of ticks carry limes desease these days, so timely removal is important.

I would also second the eye wash, especially when you will be having fires

Harmen

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Hello bingobadgo,

St John Ambulance have some really top quality ready made first aid kits, but you may prefer to make up your own, you can then customise any particular kit you need for any specific situation you have in mind. The quality of the supplies on their site is of the very highest.

Ready-made kits:
http://www.stjohnsupplies.co.uk/products/section.asp?cat=FKCK
Supplies to make up your own kit:
http://www.stjohnsupplies.co.uk/products/section.asp?cat=FC

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Paul.

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
I would like to add that any first aid kit would be enhanced with some homeopathic remedies. Arnica is a good start and is fantastic for minimising bruising. Essential oils can also play a part, I always have some tea tree oil to hand which I find good for stings and rashes, also doubles up as a fairly effective mosquito repellent. The other thing I also carry when I'm out bimbling is a small roll of cling film, very good for covering more serious burns because it doesn't stick to the wound. These are supplies that take up minimal space and which anyone can use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE