Group Buy First Aid Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Rough details can be found here :- https://bushcraftuk.com/community/threads/got-caught-out-yesterday.155307/page-4#post-1938402

Just testing the water to see if there is enough interest to pursue a group buy for a designed first aid kit - ideally we would form a common list of FAK items that are deemed necessary and useful from something like SPS or Boundtree Medical - then create a bespoke common kit for the Group Buy.

Just seeing who maybe interested - who 'needs' a good first aid kit or two???

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Sorry guys, I have a fairly robust kit for working down in the wood on my own so won't be participating. However, for your consideration, I did the extended FAW course recently that includes the forestry extension - from that I would recommend the Israeli bandage (as mentioned above) and Celox Rapid gauze - about the only way you'll stand a chance of surviving an arterial bleed if you're on your own.

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So is this the sort of thing people are wanting or something different? This is the starting point of ideas so please chip in.

1x CAT Gen 7 Tourniquet
1x CELOX Rapid
1x 6" Israeli Pressure Bandage
1x Pair Gloves
1x Tough Cut Shears

Reactions: TriggerRover

dnarcher

Jul 21, 2016
Sheffield
Quikclot combat gauze is allegedly a little better than celox. I like the idea for the group buy, but by gum, this is going to be an expensive kit. Sam splint, maybe?

Another problem might be that most of us have a first aid kit or 7, but still need bits, often the most expensive bits. I need the gauze and the bandage, I would like a fold out kit bag, and as my patient wife will remind me, I have lots of other stuff.

Could be a possibility to offer something like adventure medical kits ultralight with add ons?

Sorry, I think it's a great idea, I just think it's very hard to organise as a group buy.
Thanks, and I will watch with interest.

Reactions: TeeDee

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
from talking to quite a few CMT, Medics, paramedics the Celox and quickclot and about the same since QuickClot sorted themselves out the stuff they use is basically the same in both. I personally use Celox as it is what we use for our medics at work use and they recommended it to me.

Thankfully, I've never actually had to use it but I doubt if anyone will be discussing the pro's and con's of either whilst applying it :)

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
:) It is quick and very effective I have used the gauze in training simulation and it works very well even on fake blood.

I have had to use an Israeli bandage in real life when my mum fell and cut her head open with a large gash (lot of blood). When the ambulance crew arrived they were very impressed with how quick it worked and also the fact when used, it came off easy with the blood clotted but not stuck in anyway to the bandage so peeled off easily (They have to put on their own bandage which was normal gauze and wrap). They it was not a standard issued item on their ambulances in their authority and only on paramedic ambulances (it was a Worcestershire Ambulance not a West Midlands one). My mum ended up with 28 stitches of which 7 were sub-dermal. I have used them lots in training, but 1 real life use trumps all training.

Reactions: Broch

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
On second thoughts, I think I'll pass - think it'll be too tricky to agree the items. Good idea though.

Stay with it.

It maybe that we can get to a position of 'opting in' for a ticklist of what we require with the mainstay being generic identical kits but that we can have various items also.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I got my latest bits from Reflex Medical; Sam from RM (I think his avatar is Reflexmedical) is a new member on here but he's not able to advertise :) - however, I'm sure he'd be happy to advise on a baseline content and add-on's.

Also worth saying that Wayne (Forrest Knights) used to run a brilliant expedition first aid course and he'd be a good person to tap for advice.

I've also had good service from SP Services.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE