First Aid Glow Tag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
My FAK is part of my possibles kit and I know where it is in whichever pack I am carrying.. BUT NOBODY ELSE DOES. At home because of our age, we have a system known to emergency services personnel of having our contact details, GP and medications we are on in a capsule in the refrigerator.

It seems to me that I should adopt a system similar to yours so that in case of emergency,:
1 Anyone who comes across me knows where to find my FAK and medication especially if I am unconscious.
2 Emergency services have necessary info. Ditto.
3 Anyone in need of emergency help knows that I have a FAK. Experience has shown me that other people have had need of my FAK more often than I ever have.

Thank you for an idea that will be incorporated into my policy of constant kit improvement.

Reactions: Wayland

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I've just refreshed my first aid kits and the main one has increased in size to a Maxped bag with several zipped pouches . i wanted to label them so inspired by Waylands first aid tag i made these.
I used kangaroo leather because they are double sided and I wanted them fairly thin.
The dots are glow in the dark.

2020-07-18_05-25-06 by Mark Aspell, on Flickr

2020-07-18_05-21-39 by Mark Aspell, on Flickr

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
My First aid kit is always at the top of whichever pack, pocket or pouch it is packed in.

The tag will be hung just outside the closure or lid with the cord adjusted with a sennit so there shouldn't be much to catch.

I suppose there is a remote chance in very tight brush but that's not the sort of terrain I venture into much.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Not sure if you are referring to Waylands bag or mine so I'll reply just in case...
The bag only contains medic type stuff. it's not intended to be carried as a normal EDC type bag. I have several smaller FAKs i carry in various pockets/ bags. This bag is intended for events like the moot where i may get asked to help someone and generally i will be close to camp so can get the bag quickly if I'm not carrying it.
In terms of the tags catching on things, no, as the tags are flat and stuck together there isn't a loop to get caught. the only thing they might do is fall in the zip when doing it up but if you're holding the tag that wont happen.
I guess the noise might get annoying if running with the tags slapping around on your back but the first rule of first aid is don't run! OK maybe not the first rule but not instilling panic into the patient is key!

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Really like this idea and will be making something with this to my first aid kit so it stands out in the dark.
I have changed my first aid kit based on an idea I saw using the Velcro panel molle first aid pouch. My first aid kit lives in this pouch on the outside of my bag so anyone can find it. Also if I need it, I am going to need it bad so being a clip and a zip away makes much more sense.
I carry a first response pouch on my belt. This is a lot like the Vietnam era compass/bandage pouch idea in that it has a Boo Boo kit and combined with the duct tape and bandanna from my possibilities pouch. The point of this kit is to deal with a minor injury to carry on what I am doing or to make it back to my first aid kit.
I also carry all the time a pair of gloves and a resuscitation mask in my edc tin. This is a kit designed to go everywhere with me on a day to day based so it has nothing in it that has law issues. I carry my edc knife and lighter in a separate pocket.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE