First Aid certificate.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Didn't really know where to post this but I guess as you lot are leaders/teachers and instructors I guess one of you would know.

I heard a rumour the other day that the First Aid cert is going to be made a yearly requirment, instead of lasting 3 years as it currently does.

Does anyone have any concrete infomation on this?

:)
Ed

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
That's what we were told. Our training is by Royal Berkshire, and apparently the re-training is yearly, but of a scaled down form....

Keeps everyone on their toes more i suppose ?

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
I haven't heard that but to be honest would welcome it.

I've held a cert for over 10 years and only used my skills in anger twice in all that time (except when I cut myself whilst whittling of course :rolleyes: ).

All skills should be practiced and it's not an easy one to do realisticly.

There's an idea, how about a BC centric triage exercise at the next big moot?

moduser

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I'm actually doing my 3 year refresher course tomorrow and Thursday with St Johns, I'll ask them if they know anything about it...

Cheers

Mark

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
A 3 year cert will still be valid when the changes come in. All new students will have a cert valid for one year. The course is likely to be shorter and the refresher will be about 4-6 hours yearly. As with everything its unlikley to be cheaper.

The content of the new courses have yet to be decided by the Resus Council.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
OK, this what SJA said about it.

They believe HSE have made a decision but it has not been made public yet. They are expecting it very soon - having said that, they've been waiting for this for 2 years now... but.

- The current 4 day initial qualification course will change to 3 days.
- There will be an annula 3 hour/ half day refresher course covering cpr, recovery position etc.
- Every 3 years there will be a 2 day refresher/ requalification course similar to the current requalification course.

- There will be at least a years lead in period, so courses can be designed and brochures printed etc.
- Current certificates will be valid for the full 3 years and expire on the date on the certificate.

Hope this helps...

Cheers

Mark

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
As part of my job I teach healthcare professionals BLS and ALS (Advanced Life Support). Statutory requirement is a yearly update on BLS, which includes the basic algorithm, recovery position, choking etc.

I personally think that a yearly update for "lay" providers is long overdue.

I teach my scouts, cubs AND beavers BLS and first aid every year (not to mention my fellow leaders)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE