First Aid and children

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beaver1970

I teach bushcraft skill to children and families. I believe we need to get families and children outdoors more often and learn about nature and what a wonderful world we live in. I get various objections regarding, risk, danger and age appropriate activities.

The same is often said when I talk about children learning first aid. I believe children should ideally start first aid in primary school as part of the National Curriculum. Starting at an early age with risk assessment, reassurance of a casualty, the importance of getting help and how to get help and communicate with the emergency services.

Instead of having a pass fail course children need to be reviewing what they learn regularly and when competent learn something new. If it is done once a year they forget lots just like adults. I have some that take time learning the basics others pick it up quickly, but the skills are slowly building and can save lives of people when they are outdoors. Additionally they are developing skills that will stay with them for years.

What are your thoughts on teaching children first aid? What methods would you recommend to teach children first aid?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have 2 kids, both grown, gone and very successful. When little (6/7/8), I explained cleaning and covering scrapes and cuts.
They repaired eachother. The workmanship may have been sloppy but practice makes perfect and theory is no short-cut.

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
I think I've heard somewhere recently that first aid is on the curriculum in Wales.
St Johns Ambulance run first aid training for kids .
I'm my view never too early to learn first aid skills .

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I don't think it was common, but way back when I was in Junior High (7th and 8th grade) in the late 1960s we did have 1st Aid. Once a week instead of going to P.E. we went into a classroom and studied 1st Aid for the school year.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I did first aid at age 11/12. Back then it covered CPR, treating cuts, burns, bruises, sprains, making improvised sprints, bandages slings and treating snakebite.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I guess that nobody got hurt when I went to school in the Cretaceous.
Extinction was more of a threat.
Getting patched up by Mom & Dad was as good as we got.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I regularly teach children first aid from the age of 5. I teach them how to call an ambulance using 999. How do a primary assessment and put someone in the recovery position. Plus how to deal with wounds bandaging and making slings out of hoodies.

You never know when the skills are going to be needed. I focus on play and ensuring the kids know the difference between a real emergency and the need to contact a responsible adult for assistance.

Last edited:

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
We teach first aid to Beavers, Cubs and Scouts so starting at 6.
Keep it simple, at 6 we will cover the very simple, how to get help, etc.
Google Scouts UK, Emergency Aid badge, it is staged and we work on Stage 1 for 6 to 8, Stage 2 for 8 to 11 and Stage 3 for 10 to 14.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

beaver1970

I regularly teach children first aid from the age of 5. I teach them how to call an ambulance using 999. How do a primary assessment and put someone in the recovery position. Plus how to deal with wounds bandaging and making slings out of hoodies.

You never know when the skills are going to be needed. I focus on play and ensuring the kids know the difference between a real emergency and the need to contact a responsible adult for assistance.

Play is the best way for children to learn most things. Getting them outdoors to play is getting them into the world's biggest class room

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
Don't know if it's in the curriculum or not, but I know both my kids were taught basic emergency response and first aid at their school here in Wales. It's pretty impressive having an 8 year old put a 15 stone bloke into the recovery position with confidence and they know how to deal with burns, scalds and minor cuts etc.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I'm an ACF instructor and it's a core part of the curriculum we teach. It's an essential.

We had a 14 year old cadet who failed his assessment 3 times take charge of a scene and render first aid at a car crash only last weekend.

Actually I'm thinking of running a first aid course at Bushmoot. Won't come with a certificate but it should cover most /all maybe a bit more specific bushcraft content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE