Firewood pests and solutions…

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Hi folks, I was enjoying the sun restocking and sorting the firewood today and I have noticed that I have somewhat of an infestation. The oak that I split and stacked back in the spring is suffering with beetle grub of some sort. I can’t find much online, but the cambium layer is turning to a red dust like powder and the bark is just coming away in sheets. There are small holes and I found a larvae or two but I assume most are buried down deep now. I’m not overly concerned as most of it will be burned up but it has left me with two questions.

Firstly, does anyone know anything about what insect this could be or has had the same experience?

Secondly, (and hopefully where the discussion can really take off too) what other pests/problems have people faced with their firewood and how did you control the issue?

I’ve had most things from mushrooms to mice, but red dust is a new one on me and rather a nuisance to deal with.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not sure about the red, but the frass is likely from something like a pinhole borer if it's on oak.

The only 'red' dust that I know of is from dry rot. Maybe it's a fungal infection rather than insect infestation ?

A friend found his woodpile to be infested, he just burned through it asap, and tried to keep the next stacks really well aerated as they dried.
Splitting the timber and removing the bark helps.
The bark gives insects hiding places, protection, and it can slow down drying.

The removed bark dries out more quickly too, and then it's just good tinder/ kindling.

Last edited:
Reactions: crosslandkelly

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
There are a number of oak boring beetles - some infest oak whilst growing, others infest it (and other woods) once felled. Some only go into the bark layers but some bore deeper into the wood. There's even one called the Powder Post Beetle! The beetle could be the cause of the dust. I would need a photo to identify the beetle and they can be quite small :). How big are the holes?

The worst 'dust' problem I have had with firewood is on sycamore - black soot fungus which causes severe breathing problems with some people. It tends to form under the bark, though it can be visible on the outside as well, and can create quite high volumes of jet black soot-like dust.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I had exactly the same thing with some live-oak logs that I collected locally. Holes never went more than 1/8th inch deep into wood, but made mince of the inner bark layer. I stacked the wood in my conservatory and could hear the little blighters chewing if I stood in there quietly! Never did see an adult that I could identify. Didn't seem to like the other wood and haven't had any lasting problems with other wood in there since.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
The Bark Borer ernobius mollis?
The powder post beetle was one we looked out for when I worked briefly as a timber infestation surveyor in the 1960's: I never came across any in my patch in the south of England. Most common insect infestation was common furniture beetle anobius puntctatum. Coniofera cerebella (wet rot) and merulius lacrymans (dry rot) were the most common fungal infestations.

Reactions: Toddy
I had some form of infestation in my woodpile. I figured it was wood worm.
So I bought a 3L pressure sprayer and some woodworm- killing concentrate online. I think it said it deals with all sorts of bugs.
I soaked the whole lot with the spray, let them dry, turned the logs and had another go.
Seemed to do the trick.

Reactions: FerlasDave

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Would “tenting” the woodpile with a cheap tarp and then gassing the heap with exhaust fumes do anything?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Agreed. I'm afraid I can't really understand the purpose of applying any kind of treatment - 1) it's a waste if money, 2) I'm not sure about the fumes when burning, and 3) the beetle's already gone if you see holes :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Would “tenting” the woodpile with a cheap tarp and then gassing the heap with exhaust fumes do anything?

I don't know; but I do know that the roofs of roundhouses, that were filled with smoke...they don't have chimneys, the smoke from the central hearth billows up into the cone and sort of seeps through the thatch, but mostly spills downwards and out at the eaves.....are pretty much insect proof.
The smoke kills insects, prevents vermin infestations, etc., and since it's above head height, the humans aren't really breathing it in.

Meat, cheese, ropes, leather, nets, tools, etc., stored up there all last very well indeed...though very black.

Reactions: scruff and Macaroon

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Many years ago, my mum thought the old thatched house we lived in looked rustic with both log bins kept full year round. The Deathwatch beetle larvae loved the warmth and infested every timber in the place, causing us to have the entire roof and thatch replaced.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Many years ago, my mum thought the old thatched house we lived in looked rustic with both log bins kept full year round. The Deathwatch beetle larvae loved the warmth and infested every timber in the place, causing us to have the entire roof and thatch replaced.

Should have burned the timber and let the smoke deal with it all :)

Reactions: scruff

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Well it would seem I’ve found the culprit of my “infestation”. Found a small number of these flying about in the garden and workshop, after some research it seems they favour oak and don’t really cause any damage to wood that has the bark removed. Which means my workshop is somewhat safe (phew!)

The interesting past is that there are no recordings of this particular beetle round here at all. Would anyone know where I could find somewhere to properly take record of the species? Hmm.

IMG_4976.jpeg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

Pretty sure those will work. It used to be an enormous hassle, but modern phones have made life so easy.

Reactions: FerlasDave

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Well it would seem I’ve found the culprit of my “infestation”. Found a small number of these flying about in the garden and workshop, after some research it seems they favour oak and don’t really cause any damage to wood that has the bark removed. Which means my workshop is somewhat safe (phew!)

The interesting past is that there are no recordings of this particular beetle round here at all. Would anyone know where I could find somewhere to properly take record of the species? Hmm.

View attachment 88742

You come under COFNOD in N Wales; they’re part of the UK LERC network. Www.cofnod.org.uk

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE