Firesteel & tinder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I tried searching for this but got swamped with entries so I'm hoping someone can give me an easy answer.

I keep oven dried tinder in a sealed plastic pouch in my bag. What can I coat/dip a light-my-fire firesteel in, that will allow me to keep it in the same pouch without worrying about corrosion?
Cheers,
Toddy

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
the coating on new firesteels is just black lacquer. so nail polish does the same job once the lacquer is removed, and you can make it any colour you like :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Stuart said:
the coating on new firesteels is just black lacquer. so nail polish does the same job once the lacquer is removed, and you can make it any colour you like :D

Thanks folks, info much appreciated :)
I've got a bushcrafting friend who despairs of ever turning me in to a proper *green for everything type* bushcrafter, I'm gonna find the purple polish just to see his face :eek: :D

Cheers,
Toddy

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Unless you are not going to store your firesteel in water you don´t have to do anything with it. It will work fine evn if it get´s a little rusty, it´s made to be used in hard climates and to always work.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
zackerty said:
What about a violent orange colour nail varnish? :)

I'm a 46 year old, earthmothery type. *Orange*!! you think I've got orange nailpolish?? :eek: Now purple I can do...... :D

Thanks Viking, it was only when I read a thread here about one of them crumbling away when stored that I started to fret.

Cheers,
Toddy

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Why not try popping it in to your local nail bar and they may be able to create a bushcraft scene on it for you...I think that I may do just that with mine. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE