Firesteel tinder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Miya dust/Miya wood shavings,
Cotton wool (with or without Vasaline)
Rosebay willow herb fluff
Catkin fluff

Probably loads of others as well

Chris

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
you use fine feather sticks. i find pine work best for this, the resin in the wood makes them more flamable
dry grass, hay etc
the inner bark of some trees such as sweet chestnut. you have to scrape the inner part and will get fibers which you can buff to make them finer
king alfrids cakes fungi, grows on dead ash trees and burns like char coal
down from fissal, dandy lions and bull rushes

pete

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
I'm only starting learning the firesteel and was initially puzzled that it seems dependent on bringing an ultra fine, ultra dry tinder from home (considering birch is not found absolutely everywhere either). It seems to defeat the purpose of a solid, all-resistant firelighting device.

However I finally managed to put fire to tiny wood scraps. I split a piece of wood and took very fine shavings from the inside (a bit like a featherstick) but then also "scrapped" the wood fibers perpendicularly with the "belly" of the blade to get something closer to dust. This took the spark OK.

I have been told you could also shave off some fibers from a cotton cloth, use punk wood and some dry grasses.

So all in all, given some practice in manipulating the firesteel AND in locating natural dry tinder, I revised my somewhat skeptical views on firesteel ;)

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
Dry grass, cotton wool, leaf skeletons, theoretically feather sticks, maya dust, paper, cotton lint from the drier, meths, petrol (but that would be really stupid), charred wood, wild cotton heads, clematis fibres, fibrous seed pods.

Lotsa stuff.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I`ll throw a couple more in

Tampax
Dry grass or straw rubbed and fluffed up
King Alfred or crampball fungus
Dry bracken
clematis

the list goes on

Oops trod on your thread there aplah-centaur

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Dry grass, cotton wool, leaf skeletons, theoretically feather sticks, maya dust, paper, cotton lint from the drier, meths, petrol (but that would be really stupid), charred wood, wild cotton heads, clematis fibres, fibrous seed pods.

Lotsa stuff.

Theoretically? Practically, more like! It only takes a bit of practice.

Keep practising and you too can light a candle with your fire steel.

;)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Theoretically? Practically, more like! It only takes a bit of practice.

;)
I was going to say I've lit a feather stick with a ferro rod, did it for the fist time this week end. :)
As to the candle, Mors did it at the moot with a brand new unburnt candle, took a bit of prep, and a few stikes, even he looked surprised at how quick he managed it

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Charred logs from the fire the night before will light with a spark. Try to find bits with a lot of white ash type stuff on them. This will light quite easily.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
If I feel all clever and decide to find my tinder in the wild then I use dry grass or dry straw rubbed together to make it more 'flowery'. The advantage of this over most of the other things suggested is that 1/ we all know what dry grass looks like (although it has to be properly dry - no green bits, however pale) 2/it's generally available all year round (though the wet dry grass will have to be dried out first) 3/It catches a spark a real treat.
If I am going to bring tinder from home then I use cotton wool, either covered with vaseline or not (depending on how prepared I am). Either way, cotton wool takes a spark exceedingly well.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
In WW2 the standard British method of getting a brew on in the desert was as follows -
Get an old petrol can ("flimsy") and fill it with sand.
Pour in some petrol (not too much - no fuel should be visible) and allow it to soak in.
Light the petrol at the top of the tin (invisible as it has soaked into the sand but still able to catch a light).
For more flame, use a stick to stir the sand exposing more petrol.
Fairly safe and effective and therefor OK- ish for using this method for using petrol as a tinder with a fire steel I would think.:)
I have used this method with meths and sawdust before now but as I drive a diesel van and use gas or meths stoves I dont normally have petrol around.....

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I sometimes carry an Ulitmate Survival Firesteel, it has a small compartment in the handle that holds a WetFire Tinder block which when powdered down will light from a spark even in the pouring rain.
I also use alot of MagFire waxed paper, when this is teased like birch bark it will catch a spark easily.

andy_pevy

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2006
Sandhurst
Brasso, not the liquid one but the wadding type in a blue and silver tin with red writing on the front.

Tear a lump off and drop a few sparks on it, it goes like fury.

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE