Firesteel striker help please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Hi Folks.

I'm needing to make some strikers for ferro rod firesteels.

I was wondering about high carbon flat bar and cutting it into lengths and boring a hole in the end. I might get access to a guillotine and a hole puncher at the blacksmiths. This would save heating the metal.

If I got high carbon steel (1095 I believe) would that work without having to quench them.

Trying to keep production time down as I've got 240 to make!!!!!

Thanks.

how many do you want I do a few hundred at a time of various designs mainly for Shark tinder might be worth asking mark there as i cant sell his designs etc

you will need to heat treat them the high carbon bit will only make a difference of hardened

to get them hard and they are best if the edges are Ground square and sharp 120-180gt works best

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
I need 240 which is going to be cost prohibitive. They just need to be a flat bar type.

I was thinking of flat bar the same size as a hacksaw blade striker but about 3mm thick.

So if I get the high carbon bar and make them to the shape I need to heat them to non magnetic and quench them?

Many thanks for the info.

I need 240 which is going to be cost prohibitive. They just need to be a flat bar type.

I was thinking of flat bar the same size as a hacksaw blade striker but about 3mm thick.

So if I get the high carbon bar and make them to the shape I need to heat them to non magnetic and quench them?

Many thanks for the info.

you could look at O1 in strip ie 15mm x 3mm x 500mm (Cromwells etc) its ground you can drill the holes CSK deburr and then cut to lenghts

HT

may work fine from there as the edges are sharp but may need a quick clean up depending if the HT has knocked some off

ATB

Duncan

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
BearThrills. I think that's a bargain as far as hacksaw blades goes but I'll need to see how many I need and work out something local (perhaps a cheaper brand hacksaw blade0. thanks anyway.

Tillerman. ferro rods. Apparently it doesn't work with mild steel.

Cheers

BearThrills. I think that's a bargain as far as hacksaw blades goes but I'll need to see how many I need and work out something local (perhaps a cheaper brand hacksaw blade0. thanks anyway.

Cheers

yes it will work with mild steel if you put on the sharp edge

BUT being relatively soft it will wear blunt pretty quick and not work

any thing hard n sharp will do glass Flint etc

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~

Cheers

If it's just for ferro rods then go down your local pound shop and get 5 for £1.

They'll throw a good spark with either ferro and flint

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE