Firesteel contraversy!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 22, 2011
Colorado, USA
I carry a lighter with me as a backup for emergencies and I would agree that cheap bic lighters are almost as dependable as ferro rods. That said, the reason I carry a ferro rod with me out into the bush—and to light almost all of my fires in general—is because it makes me think of fire lighting differently. It forces me to think more fundamentally about the materials and the most efficient use of them. Using sparks or friction to light fires requires one to develop a decent level of firecraft skill, which is why I think so many people that practice bushcraft favor such methods. Using a lighter or match is fine for most people, but it's not preferable for Bushcrafters who enjoy the ritual of creating fire and being more involved in the individual steps.

If I have just a lighter or matches, I don't think of identifying or gathering the best tinder because it's not really necessary when you have an instant flame. In fact, before I learned how to light fires more primitively, it would take me ten times longer with an instant flame method than it does now using sparks. I would light my dry materials and get a decent flame going, only to have it go out a minute or two later. I would go through a small box of matches before I got a good fire started.

As far as being mass produced and unnatural; if you think about it, most things we take out into the bush is mass produced and/or unnatural. The steel in your blade, the clothes you wear, the vehicle you drive, the shoes you have on, your backpack, your compass, etc. were all likely mass produced or made of unnatural materials. The point, I think, is to reduce our dependance on unnatural things and instead look for alternatives in nature.

udamiano

On a new journey
I carry a lighter with me as a backup for emergencies and I would agree that cheap bic lighters are almost as dependable as ferro rods. That said, the reason I carry a ferro rod with me out into the bush—and to light almost all of my fires in general—is because it makes me think of fire lighting differently. It forces me to think more fundamentally about the materials and the most efficient use of them. Using sparks or friction to light fires requires one to develop a decent level of firecraft skill, which is why I think so many people that practice bushcraft favor such methods. Using a lighter or match is fine for most people, but it's not preferable for Bushcrafters who enjoy the ritual of creating fire and being more involved in the individual steps.

If I have just a lighter or matches, I don't think of identifying or gathering the best tinder because it's not really necessary when you have an instant flame. In fact, before I learned how to light fires more primitively, it would take me ten times longer with an instant flame method than it does now using sparks. I would light my dry materials and get a decent flame going, only to have it go out a minute or two later. I would go through a small box of matches before I got a good fire started.

As far as being mass produced and unnatural; if you think about it, most things we take out into the bush is mass produced and/or unnatural. The steel in your blade, the clothes you wear, the vehicle you drive, the shoes you have on, your backpack, your compass, etc. were all likely mass produced or made of unnatural materials. The point, I think, is to reduce our dependance on unnatural things and instead look for alternatives in nature.

well said :campfire:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Has anyone tried lighting a ciggie with a firesteel? Just curious as to how you'd manage that. Perhaps someone could give it a go and post the best technique!!

Yeah. Firesteels are great, they are great for lighting just about any stove, particularly trangias. They will set fire to a wide range of tinders easily, they have no moving parts, they are solid fuelled, they last for literally years, they are completely reliable, they are very tough and they work when they are wet. There was even a candle lighting competition on here once - you had to light a candle directly with a firesteel - perfectly doable.

It's all in the technique. :)

Oh, ciggy lighting.....

[video=youtube;gqJi8coXzq4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqJi8coXzq4[/video]

The above technique works with birch bark, dry leaves, paper up to envelope thickness (try it - just fold a piece of paper in half, insert your striking implement of choice into the fold, then strike through the paper, directly onto the firesteel).

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE