Firesteel contraversy!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Had a thought the other day. Many of us would automatically include a fire steel (ferrocerium) in their kit but it struck me that these are mass produced in factories so are no more "natural" than a cheapo fag lighter (5 ferra pahnd!). The lighter is pretty rugged, produces actual flame each time and if it does run out (unlikely in a week) then I'm sure it would be possible to light a fire using the spark alone and some suitable tinder.

I've picked up lighters on the beach whilst combing and after drying out a bit, they work fine so waterproofing isn't an issue.

I can see the attraction of using traditional flint/steel to light a fire but otherwise it just seems like bloody mindedness!

Last edited:

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
.. The lighter is pretty rugged, produces actual flame each time
unless it's been dunked in the water..

I've picked up lighters on the beach whilst combing and after drying out a bit, they work fine so waterproofing isn't an issue.
If you've just fallen in a river and are developing hypothermia while the rain lashes down, waiting for your lighter to dry out isn't an option ;-)

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
unless it's been dunked in the water..

If you've just fallen in a river and are developing hypothermia while the rain lashes down, waiting for your lighter to dry out isn't an option ;-)

Are you going to have the capability of assembling tinder and a "birds nest" with developing hypothermia? I'm going to go outside to drop a lighter in a bucket of water to see how long it takes to dry

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Try lighting cold meths in a trangia with a bic lighter:banghead:.This is why I use a firesteel.:)

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Are you going to have the capability of assembling tinder and a "birds nest" with developing hypothermia?
a couple of bits of peeled birch bark quickly scraped with a knife will do it - no need to build a nest - the sparks from a firesteel are hot enough to get that going if you scrape it right :)

I'm going to go outside to drop a lighter in a bucket of water to see how long it takes to dry
try it on a rainy day for the full effect :)

armie

Life Member
Jul 10, 2009
The Netherlands
Mine's got a wooden handle, that makes it natural! :)
But I don't care about that too much; if you would specify what this criterium "natural" is, I could tell you what part of my kit falls into that category.
I carry a firesteel and matches to make fire.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I'm going to go outside to drop a lighter in a bucket of water to see how long it takes to dry

OK, dropped a cheap lighter into a bucket of rainwater. Shook the water out, blew into it to dispel moisture and after a few seconds, got it lit again

Try lighting cold meths in a trangia with a bic lighter:banghead:.This is why I use a firesteel.:)

I did say my post would be contraversial!

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
So you don't use drybags and rucksack liners then. If you ever fall into a river with some essentials stored in a dry bag then what is the issue??

Another thing about lighters is the selection of which one. I use a certain type of bic one IIRC that is round cross section which is refillable and with a replaceable firesteel wheel to ignite the lighter fluid . This I have got wet many times and it is able to create sparks. It comes out on a little stick and is kind of like the emergency fire steel wheels you can get in the SOL emergency kits from that French company that does UL first aid kits (name escapes me). These will work as well as a fire steel after getting wet as I believe they use a similar ferrocium material.

I think the first poster has a good point about the lighters. Afterall how many times do you fall into a river? And if canoeing then your kit is usually in drybags or barrels right? Even if the lighter can't light the lighter fluid then you still have the sparks. I am able to get a shower of sparks almost as impressive as with my ferrocium rod firesteel. In fact I can light a gas stove easier with the lighter wheel than a rod. Of course most of the time the lighter will work and will be easier to use than the rod.

It is however personal choice. I take all methods from gas stove with PZ, through matches, storm matches, lighters and firesteel in rod form (plus firesteel in the form of the lighter's replaceable striker wheel). Belt and braces I guess.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Isn't this a bit like asking why cook bannock when you can just bring bread? Not having a go or adding to the controversy but I never get these questions myself. If you don't want to bother with a firesteel or flint and steel or bic or whatever that's fine by me! Whatever it takes to make you happy is best for you innit!

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Surely firesteels are just more fun, and a partial reinstatent of traditional methods? The reason I use one is the same as the reason i like to cook on a fire rather than over a gas stove (or for that matter, over the electric hob in my kitchen!).

From a purely practical viewpoint however I largely agree with the OP!

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Mine's got a wooden handle, that makes it natural! :)
But I don't care about that too much; if you would specify what this criterium "natural" is, I could tell you what part of my kit falls into that category.
I carry a firesteel and matches to make fire.

I was just wondering whether we were sacrificing the convenience of a lighter with a method that felt a bit more "traditional" for the sake of it. People have pointed out some of the advantages of using a firesteel and I'll probably still carry one but I won't feel guilty using a lighter (which, let's face it, is the same technology)

ry lighting cold meths in a trangia with a bic lighter.This is why I use a firesteel

Try doing that one handed :D

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've tried firesteel for meths and found storm or ordinary matches work best. In fact the firesteel I actually was least impressed with for lighting my AGG can stove and WBS and Trangia in a honey stove (four side arrangement). I find the only thing I can get lit easily with a firesteel is my gas stove but that is me and my probably poor technique. However if (to use the first responder's example) I am wet through and hypothermic then my thnought processes are going to be worse than they are normally so I (and anyone in that situation) needs to have whatever system works the best for them. For me it is not a firesteel. If you do have a problem with falling in rivers then drybags should really be considered essential kit. Keep your important to keep dry kit in them and what is the problem??

At the end of the day I think it is best to have the lighting method YOU are most happy with and not what is best for others. Also you need to be well versed in using the methods you have to hand. That means for me I really need to practice more with the firesteel. I will always carry alternatives to matches, lighters and firesteels and I sincerely recommend to others to have more than one method to light a fire if out on a trip into the hills, woods, lochs, sea trips or wherever you are getting out into the wilds. No point being stuck in your ways on one system with something potentially important as fire or stove lighting.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
If you like the firesteel perhaps you'd like the blast match too? That is just an updating of the firesteel technology.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The flint or peizo could fail in a lighter which would then render it useless, having a ferro rod as a backup would help in that situation.

I'm a smoker so 99% of the fires I light are with a lighter, I still carry a couple of ferro rods though just in case.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I suppose we're getting into the old argument of bushcraft vs. survival. I think if I participated in one of those "5 items or less" challenges then I'd probably opt for the lighter but there's no harm in carrying both (plus matches if you want) as they're hardly bulky/heavy items.

Glad I've got a bit of a discussion going!

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Has anyone tried lighting a ciggie with a firesteel? Just curious as to how you'd manage that. Perhaps someone could give it a go and post the best technique!!

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I'm the opposite.
I always have a lighter on me, but have never used one to light a fire! (since buying the rod).

I have though come very close to killing a 12,000 strike firesteel in 10 months, but she still has a bit of life left in her :) Just...

I guess its all down to choice. If it works for you, use it.

And Paul... Yep LoL!

al.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE