fireman's shovel

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Hatchet would fit in a pack mine does no one even bats an eyelid :)
What are you going to be digging ? make a digging stick on site or get a folding trowel ?

Cheers Russ

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
"for all manner of rescue....."

Doesn't imply that it's really meant for prolonged use or as a replacement for an axe.
Apart from a catscrape, what else are you likely to use the shovel for anyway ? Firepit maybe ? Drip trench round a tent ? A wee folding trowel weighing in at 150g does fine for that.
If you don't want to carry an axe, I'd recommed buying a laplander folding saw (Amazon.co.uk) or a collapsable bow saw, and just carry a decent knife for battoning the timber you cut.

cheers,
Toddy

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Looks ok.. I'd go with the cold steel jobby though mate. I intend on getting one sometime after lot of research and posative reviews.

or the chinese military shovel! ;)

foxtrot

Jan 18, 2009
chesterfield
Can't see this being any good as a shovel or as an axe. Lou makes a pertinent observation and I've never seen one used in this country by any Fire Service. Spades dig holes, shovels move coal and axes chop wood. Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Worst shaped ping pong paddle I've ever seen...

6688.jpg

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If you want to cut wood get saw, axes of any kind are a very insufficient way of getting wood down from one big bit into chunks apart from chunks provided by your saw or dead fall.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Can't see this being any good as a shovel or as an axe. Lou makes a pertinent observation and I've never seen one used in this country by any Fire Service. Spades dig holes, shovels move coal...

Or manure, or snow, or grain, etc.

By the way I've never seen anything like that used by the any Fire Dept. over here either; not even the Forest Service's elite forest fire fighting units such as the Hot Shots or the Smoke Jumpers. Looks like mostly an advertising gimmick TBH.

Last edited:

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
Better off with a table tennis bat, firemans shovel my ar53 never seen or heard of one. Get a hatchet or you could grind down an old spade.

phil

firealman XXXII semper paratus

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Perhaps it's a fireman's shovel in the same way as bear spray? They are a pest at best and a danger at worst, I have had three roofs go missing from my car in the last month due to roving groups of feral firemen, I would welcome any tool to deter these verminous creatures.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
As in bear spray isn't a spray made for bears it is a deterrent. sorry i forget to use smiles, it's a joke post of absolutely no benefit what so ever, much like the fireman's shovel.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Perhaps it's a fireman's shovel in the same way as bear spray? They are a pest at best and a danger at worst, I have had three roofs go missing from my car in the last month due to roving groups of feral firemen, I would welcome any tool to deter these verminous creatures.

When was the last time you looked out the window?
your seats are getting wet!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE