Firelighting methods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

happybonzo

Tenderfoot
Dec 17, 2005
Nr Emsworth, Hants
Okey Dokey - Fire lighting? What's the best way?
I know that a bucket of diesel is fairly effective but it is cheating really.
The reason that I ask is that I was working in the Woods the other day and realised that I had wasted 2 hours starting a fire
So what's best? slice off some Silver Birch bark? Make loads of feather sticks? Maya sticks by the hadful? Plenty of dead wood sticks gathered from off the ground-obviously 'cos they're dry.
I saw some other people who were also coppicing light their Kelly with fire lighters: very effective but I felt that was nearly as bad as my bucket full of diesel
So what does everyone suggest? I'm fed up with being cold.

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
I hope I'm not stating the bleedin' obvious here but here goes.

When I try to start a fire, I collect loads of very fine twigs as tinder, the thinner and dryer the better and then build a football goalpost arrangement with some bigger sticks (two uprights with a crossbar maybe 8" across by 3" high). I then layer the tinder twigs on one side of the goal posts, resting on the crossbar, just like the net on the back. This leaves a space underneath where you can place a match or better still a candle to light the tinder. Once this is going well, you can start placing thicker and thicker twigs on the fire until you have a decent 'blaze' going. It's then a simple case of feeding the fire until you are able to put logs on top.

As ever, patience is the key. You don't want to choke the fire before it is well under way. I would say that, by using this method, I've normally got the kettle on within 20 minutes. :)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
If only there was one "Best way",
Sorry to say HB, that practice is the best way - sure you can tailor the method towards your circumstances, but some time trying out the methods you've mentioned will definately help.
Your bucket of diesel might be a little overkill, but when you think about it, fire-lighters in a kelly kettle achieves a certain outcome, is reliable and very effective, why not carry a few for now?
Try the birch bark and feather sticks - if it works - great; if not - lob on half a firelighter to get the job done and try harder next time.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
I think everyone has their own prefered method!
Personally i prefer spending the time searching and using the bow drill method.
I find something comforting and an inner sense of achievement about working and nursing a fire to life

J

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
I think everyone has their own prefered method!
Personally i prefer spending the time searching and using the bow drill method.
I find something comforting and an inner sense of achievement about working and nursing a fire to life

J

I made a bow drill once, and after maybe 6 or 7 hrs of sweating and swearing, i got my ember. The drill, bow, block and hearth went straight on the fire, and if i ever use that method again, itll be too soon! Glad i did it, but never again.

I use an old flint and steel and charcloth when i can be bothered, but i smoke so i always a fag lighter in my pocket. so why mess around

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I consider myself quite adept with flint / steel & charcloth. I also use a ferro rod.

I carry a pouch of dry tinder with me - its a mixture of dry hay (rabbit bedding!), thistle down and maya stick shavings. It never fails to ignite, but I still carry firelighters (natual fibre style) and a disposable lighter for when I don't have the time or can't be bothered, but still want a brew!

The first Meet I went to, I stood back to watch all the experienced bushcrafters light the fire. One guy opened a sachet of Greenheat gel and that was lit using a barbeque match - the type with a built in firelighter!

Like all skills, it takes time to get it right. Part of the skill is knowing which technique to use and when.

I always think of fire as an animal - when it is just starting off, give it small things to eat. As it grows, its appetite gets bigger. If you overfeed it - it can get out of control.

Simon

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Zippo and firelighters.When you have only a short time the quickest method is usually the best.Even on a bushy weekend ,get the fire going first then practice other methods,one day you'll be able to use most methods with alacrity.Theres no reason to make life difficult for yourself.

happybonzo

Tenderfoot
Dec 17, 2005
Nr Emsworth, Hants
Zippo and firelighters.When you have only a short time the quickest method is usually the best.Even on a bushy weekend ,get the fire going first then practice other methods,one day you'll be able to use most methods with alacrity.Theres no reason to make life difficult for yourself.

I think that's the answer, isn't it? Time, how much have you got to spare. I just want a wet. I haven't got time to faf about because that's time lost when I could be cutting.

I just felt a bit of a fraud, that's all.

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall

Just what I was going to say. :D

There's no such thing as 'cheating' (although I understand what you're getting at). After all, most people think of the Ferrorod as a pretty bushcrafty way of lighting a fire, but isn't that cheating compared to a bow-drill, and isn't the bowdrill cheating when compared to the hand-drill. At what point do you draw the line?

Just get the fire lit :D at least you won't need to carry the bucket of deisel home if you've used it to light the fire ;) Once you've got your fire lit and the tea on, THEN practice your primative skills. Obviously there will be times when you want to go through the entire process from scratch, but when you NEED to get it lit, just do it by the simplest and most practical means at your disposal.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
My all time favorite "best" fire lighting method is ---

to have someone else along to light that fire!

Simple, basic, no sweat.

But if I had to light one, I'm still kind of partial to a Willy Pete round. (white phosphorous grenade) Although, anybody non-military tends to frown on using them. And then they shove tons of "paperwork" at you if you do use one. But it sure gives you a fire quickly.

The "best" fire starting method is whatever method works for you at that particular moment. That is all that really matters. With all the other methods that I know, I still usually have that cigarette lighter stashed in the tool box somewhere. One of those 3 for a buck kind. But one word of caution on them. DO CHECK them out every now and then - to make sure they still light/work. Over time they lose their internal pressure.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

p.s. But most of the time I use a traditional flint/steel. And then I don't even use one of my own that I forged up. I still carry that one GOOD one a friend gave me many many years ago before I started blacksmithing. It taught me how they are really supposed to work. I carried that lesson on into my work forging up flint strikers.

happybonzo

Tenderfoot
Dec 17, 2005
Nr Emsworth, Hants
But if I had to light one, I'm still kind of partial to a Willy Pete round. (white phosphorous grenade) Although, anybody non-military tends to frown on using them. And then they shove tons of "paperwork" at you if you do use one. But it sure gives you a fire quickly.

So that's what the Israelis were trying to do in Gaza

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
My personal method is this, never feels like cheating to me!!
Prepare tinder bundle (dry grass etc!)
Prepare firewood, light twigs up to logs etc.
Place cotten wool in centre of tinder bundle
strike with firesteel and watch it go up!!
Build fire round and on this fire as usual!

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
The secret I guess is to learn and get good at several methods of lighting a fire, actual ignition that is, cos building a fire is the same for whichever method you choose, only difference is size. By knowing and being reasonably proficient at several methods, you are then able to choose which method to use in any given circumstance, and/or mood, when there is no hurry then a more primitive method can provide great satisfaction, and when speed is required then fine a lighter and firelighters ( or phosphorous grenade if you happen to have one on you) will do the trick admirably.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
It's a fairly specific situation, but many is the time at a bushmoot I have been in a hurry to restart a fire that has gone out, and get cooking. All you need then is one glowing coal (from a quick hand drill in my case) a couple of bits of charred wood and 3 bits of wood about 2-3 inches in diameter. Place your glowing coal between the 2 closely opposed bits of charred wood and blow until you have a stable glow involving both bits of wood. Lay them down in this configuration in your fire place. Then arrange the 3 bits of wood lying parallel with each other across the top - about an inch gap between. Then walk away for 5 minutes and prepare your food. On return you should have a fire burning well.

Lighting it for the first time is a bit more time consuming.

JoyR

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2009
North Devon
I've found a very reliable method, works in rain and all (with a bit of care), though it may be considered slightly cheating by some purists....the way I see it, if I can reliably get flame, I think that's a good way to start! Then when I'm warmed by my roaring fire, I can practice feathersticks, bow-drills etc ;)

I always carry a magnesium flint block, and some cotton swabs (Softswab, purely because I work in a hospital, and they are to hand!). I use the swabs to oil my Knife (Camelia Oil, which happens to contain paraffin too) then pack them in a small pot. Get where I want to light my fire, use the flint scraper to rough up the swabs. They can be basically brushed into a kind of cotton wool very quickly and easily. Little bit of magnesium filing, couple of strikes of the flint onto the cotton swab, one fast, long-enough lasting flame! Obviously, I've collected twigs etc before lighting, and pretty much bung them on top! Hasn't failed yet.

Cheating? Maybe. But tis a good firestarter!

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
Most of the time you can take your time and just use natural materials on hand to make a fire. For much of the year in Central Brazil fire conditions are very dangerous and I often will camp without an open fire just using my small alcohol stove, well protected, for heating food.

In extreme cold conditions like we have been having on and off here in PA this year, I always carry something to light an emergency fire right away if necessary. Normally this will be a trioxene fuel bar. My normal way to light a fire is with a ferro rod, I keep a metal tube of cotton treated with petroleum jelly with it. I also always have a Bic in my jacket pocket.

Primitive methods are great, they will teach you more about lighting fires and the resources you have available than anything else. For wilderness survival emergencies nothing beats solid preparation and planning. Mac

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Most of the time you can take your time and just use natural materials on hand to make a fire. For much of the year in Central Brazil fire conditions are very dangerous and I often will camp without an open fire just using my small alcohol stove, well protected, for heating food.

In extreme cold conditions like we have been having on and off here in PA this year, I always carry something to light an emergency fire right away if necessary. Normally this will be a trioxene fuel bar. My normal way to light a fire is with a ferro rod, I keep a metal tube of cotton treated with petroleum jelly with it. I also always have a Bic in my jacket pocket.

Primitive methods are great, they will teach you more about lighting fires and the resources you have available than anything else. For wilderness survival emergencies nothing beats solid preparation and planning. Mac

whats a bic?? For me that just means a biro! If so what do you use it for??

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE