firebricks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Used to have a permenant camp-site where we put them in the bottom of the fire pit, then up-ended concrete blocks around them, all sunk into the ground so the edge of the blocks were 3" to 4" above ground level.

Wings :)

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
I have a load I'm keeping aside for a fixed camp when I hopefully buy a bit of land next Spring. They make great fire surrounds, I used to have a couple I used that way years ago. I had a side of the fire pit made from them for putting the coffee pot on, tin cans that needed heating and I'd sometimes brush the dust and ash off and cook bacon and sausages straight on top of them.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Dumb question, but was their function in the heater to act as thermal mass to store heat, or as insulation? I can't believe that a normal storage heater would produce temperatures high enough to require fire brick insulation. Also, there are many kinds of "fire brick". Some are very light and full of air, like mineral polystyrene, and are used for high temperature forge liners. Others are a little stronger but less insulative, and still others have almost no real insulation properties, but can take the temperature, these last feel heavy enough to be bricks.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Are they any good for an outdoor brick barbie base.

The first time I came across the idea was about 30 years ago and they were in the bottom of a huge BBQ pit, probably 8ft X 4ft, took two days to get it up to temperature with a good bed of embers, took longer to cool down though :rolleyes:

They tend to be pretty fragile, not like an ordinary brick.

Wings :)

kevin1

Jun 17, 2009
Poole
Hi fisherman use them in norgi cool boxes they rap them in foil put them in the oven then rap in a towel place in the bottom and put all their hot food on top. It all stays hot for the whole weekend.

Sean Hellman

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2009
devon
www.seanhellman.com
It has been very cold over the last few months and I work in a large cold workshop. If your feet get to cold then work suffers. I put a couple on top of the wood burner and when needed I take them off and stand on them, lovely toasty feet, and a happier working day. When left on the floor they do retain there heat for a good time. A couple of fire bricks have hugely added to my quality of life

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE