firebox users opinions please...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 25, 2010
scotland
Hello all..
I am considering the purchase of a firebox, ideally stainless steel and flat packing, for contained open fires and cooking when out and at home in the garden on occasions... no more than say 3kg to carry and importantly a design that leaves the ground as it was found.....
looked at the liard firebox, seems good also seems a lot of money for what you get.... like the yukon by canoepaddler, and the woodsmoke box, though the wood smoke i would say is on the small size for my intended use, wich involve a warming fire for the evening once the cooking is done..
I would love to hear peoples experience of these and any other suggestions, as well as peoples view of the quality and usage, warping etc...
at the moment time is very limited for any self make project, as i know how much creativity there is amongst this community, but ideas still welcome
thankyou..
northernranger

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The Yukon that Chris Randall (canoepaddler) sells, is a very efficient piece of kit.
It burns very hot and burns everything to white ash too.
It also radiates significant heat.
It comes in a simple but effective grey cordura "envelope" for easy storage, once dis-assembled.

A couple of minor gripes with it, are that the edges are not chamfered or dressed after the laser cutting and tend to be very "crisp",so it's a good idea to take some 120 grit emery, around all the edges.

The pot rest rods provided, are good quality material,but they easily, slide to one side, falling into the stove and potentially spilling what ever you are cooking.
I replaced mine with rods with extra length and 90 degree bends on the ends, so that they don't slide, from side to side, when in use.
It does tend to warp somewhat, when heating up but I'd say that's to be expected, for a flat pack stove.You can easily flatten it out, if you need to.

Finally; the "pins" provided to keep the thing in one piece are, frankly, poor;)
They are quite literally, just bits of (apx) 2mm stainless wire, bent over, presumably with pliers, to form a pin with a loop.
The fit of these is way too slack and it's no wonder they tend to go missing.
I replaced mine with proper stainless cotter or split pins at minimal cost and the whole thing looks and performs a lot more securely than as delivered.

they are quite heavy, unless you go for a titanium one.

So yes I'd recommend Chris' Yukon but with the proviso that there is some room for improvement on it, "as delivered";)

hope this helps

R.B.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
I have the Woodland Edge Firebox and it's a solid bit of kit. - LINK -

I use it mostly when out solo and it's perfect for cooking, heat and lighting. There has been no warping at all in the couple of years I've had it but then it is quite thick metal.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
+1 for the yukon, I replaced my 3 pot rest rods with a cheapy wire grill from a pound shop and have some twisted pins for a bit more grip so they don't fall out. Not light kit but solid!

3255474626_6fbdc38cdc_b.jpg

cheers

Alan

Mar 25, 2010
scotland
thanks for the feedback people.. i am so far swaying towards the yukon so thanks R.B. for the great modifying tips on what sounds like an otherwise ideal candidate for the job... i wander (if you pick up this thread again) have you found an ideal size wire/ss grill anywhere that might be a very useful cooking addition to the yukon.... i would find this more useful personally for cooking than a steel top plate.. though i can see good use for that also...
any other views / feedback always welcome..
regard
NR..

Mar 25, 2010
scotland
HA! how efficient was that.. whilst writting my last post, the answers to the questions within it were already being posted..
thanks for the piccie too, always good to see these things in use.. i wander if there was a curry on the go to accompany those naan breads?

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I have the Yukon and also the large Tentipi firebox. I have also seen the small Tentipi firebox in action. The Tentipi ones rust like crazy but carry on working. The large one is big enough for a fairly large group fire, whereas the small one is in about the same segment as the Yukon. An added feature of the large Tentipi firebox is that if you excavate an area under the centre of the firebox it makes an excellent oven area for bannock etc.

I find the Yukon needs a continual supply of chopped small wood, whereas you can chuck in fairly large pieces into the large Tentipi.

I would echo the comments about the Yukons support wires - best to replace them with a grille.

NS

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I couldn't get hold of a piece of stainless mesh so just used mild steel! rusts like hell but great for burgers and the like once it's glowing.
I got mine with the optional lid and often pop the kelly on top, as well as use the lid as a hotplate for small items.

Nonsuch is right about needing to feed the yukon smaller stuff, unless you fill it with charcoal! goes well for ages on a belly full of charcoal.

cheers

R.B.

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
Mar 25, 2010
scotland
thankyou people..
cheers chrisj for the link to the alloy table.. have seen fireboxes used on these as you do... handy at that price if travelling by vehicle or boat..
and good to see chainsaws accompanying korma for those naan breads sitting on that yukon!! that made me smile.. all good friendly stuff..
cheers
NR.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE