Fire wood Prices?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
The thread looking for a supply of fire wood for the Moot has got me thinking about the different prices people pay around the country for wood.

The average price around here in Bognor is £85- £95 for a pick up truck load. Amounts to about a square metre. That is seasoned split logs.

I just payed £130 for 6 ash logs. Approximately 2 ton.

What at is it costing you to heat your home?

i know we all source wood when we see it.

EddieP

Forager
Nov 7, 2013
Liverpool
I'm about to move house, we will have a multifuel stove in the living room, but no wood store. The link below looks convenient for us as I won't be able to dry wood and the crate looks tidy (to keep neighbours happy). They also deliver to the door. 1.2 m^2 for £160 kiln dried delivered. I'll nail some ply on to keep the wood dry.

I know I'm paying for convenience, but I'm a bit short on options.

http://www.hardwooddistribution.co.uk/products/firewod-logs-crate

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
I never buy in firewood. I drive out with the bowsaw if I have to. Often stopping in Country lay-bys. Where there's a dead limb or three dropped in the undergrowth. Minimum cuts to fit on/in the vehicle and process back at base. I've found the small wooded areas in the centre of major trunk road roundabouts, to be excellent places to find semi dry, wind blown trees. Often unmanaged for years.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
If you can find a tree surgeon who is contracted to the local council, they get huge quantities of timber every week... we had a local guy who would fill one of those big building supply bags full of dried logs for £40. He's moved further into Cheshire now, but still supplies a local farm... we can buy them in netted bags for a fiver from there. Mainly use smokeless fuel as it stays in overnight... but a couple of cut logs are good to get it going.

EddieP

Forager
Nov 7, 2013
Liverpool
If I owned the house (having to rent due to work) I'd have a wood store and start drying my own wood, as you guys show, it's a damn sight cheaper.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'm out in Singleton and paying £120 for 2 cubes of mixed ash, beech, plus a bit of birch and sycamore.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
You need contacts with the folks who cut back along the railways. They just chip the lot.

M

Access is a problem Mary. I used to cut next to powerlines, but often couldn't get a vehicle in. Plus the work vehicles are stuffed with kit.

Be be worse on the railways, you need permits too.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have a forced-air, oil furnace and central heating. I regularly heat my home (2 x 1,200 sqft) for the winter with a wood pellet stove.
The compressed wood pellets are delivered as 50 x 40lb bags to my front yard. Looks like maybe a m^3. Cost delivered was $235/ton, 2015/2016.
I have space to stack the bags indoors as their ultra-dry composition is essential. There is no smoke at all from the combustion.
In the last decade, I suppose I've burned 4-5 tons of pellets per winter. Every 500lbs of pellets produces about 3 liters of brownish, floury ash.

Given the price of furnace oil, the pellet stove paid for itself in $3,000 savings in the first 3 winters.
That includes to 500W electical cost to run the 3 motors 24/7, October through to late April.
Those savings paid the capital cost of all of my small solar power system in the next 2 winters.

kaiAnderson

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2013
Liverpool
i pay 140 for a trailer of mixed seasoned wood, although this year i should have me own seasoned wood.

I mainly burn coal in the winter as pound for pound i think it lasts longer. me stove does central heating and also hot water and i would say a ton lasts maybe 4months? and thats with central heating on 24hours a day (weve found its actually far far more economical to keep it on 24hours a day han let it go out and then reheat).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Access is a problem Mary. I used to cut next to powerlines, but often couldn't get a vehicle in. Plus the work vehicles are stuffed with kit.

Be be worse on the railways, you need permits too.

I agree if you're having to collect in situ, but the folks I know will phone up friends and say where they've left stuff for them. If it's not lifted by the next time they're back on site, it goes through the chipper.

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I run the pellets 24/7 except for shut downs and clean outs.
With a bin extension, the stove holds 2+ bags, maybe 100 lbs.
Really cold, I'll top that up in the mornings and evenings with a 40lb bag each.
When it's -15 to -25C outside, I'm cozy-happy if I can keep the kitchen at +18C or better.
21C seems tropical after a while.

Even then, I have put thermometers in various cupboards and closets to see 12C.
Issue if and when I want to do some yeast baking, commonly the coldest days with cold flour.
The yeastie beasties don't like that.

Without the forced air function of the oil furnace, it took a couple of years to figure out how to get the hot air
from the pellet stove to circulate through out the upstairs/main living level. It's a downdraft pipe and a 5W computer fan
in a floor corner of a spare bedroom!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Could you pm me details of your supplier as I'm based in Bognor and our base is at Amberley?

Will do. The wood is all from Goodwood, but I actually pay a bit less for this via a bulk buyer than going to Goodwood direct.

He'll cut and split to size. By burner takes a max of 8" and likes smaller split logs for better airflow. The pub down the road have longer lengths that aren't split so small because their burners are bigger. Gimme a min, just filling my belly with mustard herb pork fillet and green lentils. It's lovely :)

Last edited:

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
I pay £55 for a builders dumpy bag of well seasoned split mixed hardwoods (delivered). I try and collect as much as I can through the summer though as we can use up to three dumpy bags a month in mid winter.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE