Fire steel.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Survivor

Nomad
Feb 1, 2013
On Earth
Does anyone have any idea how long it should take to light a fire with a firesteel. Dry wood etc.

Bear grylls seems to do it in no time.

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Don't think there is a definitive answer. Depends how good you are at using it. As with everything practice is the key. Remember though that the Bear Grylls programmes are made for TV, and will of been edited. What you see isn't always the same as what actually happened.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
To get basic ignition? A few strikes and a few breaths on the tinder. Clearly a well developed set of coals with all the pyrolising gas burned off takes time.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Does anyone have any idea how long it should take to light a fire with a firesteel. Dry wood etc.

Bear grylls seems to do it in no time.

Your question ought to be "How long does it take to do the preparation to light a fire in a few strokes of a firesteel?"

In dry weather, the answer will be a few minutes, but in wet and cold weather when it is blowing a gale - it can take hours!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Hile_Troy

Need to contact Admin...
May 2, 2013
Stalybridge
I had my very first attempt at lighting a fire with a firestick last weekend. Perfect conditions, birch bark tinder was as dry as a bone, still took 15-20 minutes with the gathering of kindling and larger wood, but, I'll be honest, most of the time was spent figuring out how to use the firestick. After several failed attempts, a couple of instances of 'regrouping' and rather savagely fluffing the tinder I got one good strike from the stick and flames appeared. The conclusion I drew from this was that the key to this method was my (lack of) technique with the firestick.

More practice for me I think (which is great for two reasons: first, I like fire; second, I plan to try making some charcloth next time.)

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Sounds like you've got the bug lol.

You should come along to some of the meets, there are folk there that can light a fire just by uttering certain mystical words to the tinder lol.

Seriously though there are some pretty experienced folk that can and will help you to master the flame lol

Dave

The Survivor

Nomad
Feb 1, 2013
On Earth
Sounds like you've got the bug lol.

You should come along to some of the meets, there are folk there that can light a fire just by uttering certain mystical words to the tinder lol.

Seriously though there are some pretty experienced folk that can and will help you to master the flame lol

Dave

Sounds like a plan...

almac

Forager
Oct 13, 2010
Okanagan, BC CANADA
I had my very first attempt at lighting a fire with a firestick last weekend. Perfect conditions, birch bark tinder was as dry as a bone, still took 15-20 minutes with the gathering of kindling and larger wood, but, I'll be honest, most of the time was spent figuring out how to use the firestick. After several failed attempts, a couple of instances of 'regrouping' and rather savagely fluffing the tinder I got one good strike from the stick and flames appeared. The conclusion I drew from this was that the key to this method was my (lack of) technique with the firestick.

More practice for me I think (which is great for two reasons: first, I like fire; second, I plan to try making some charcloth next time.)

remember that most firesticks have a protective coating on them. you need to scratch the coating off first. the finer/dryer your tinder the better. if you start with fine powder like shavings from say, birch bark you will get a flame very quickly.
preparation is almost more important than firesteel technique.
if you build birdsnest tinder bundle correctly, you should have flame in a minute or two.
keep trying, it will come. :)

The Survivor

Nomad
Feb 1, 2013
On Earth
Am starting to irritate my Mum and Dad now by trying to light small fires around the garden, but I got one lit in just over two mins!

leon-1

The best advice in this thread was that given by Ogri the trog, it's all down to preparation. Your technique can be excellent using a firesteel, but if you haven't prepared your materials properly then you will either struggle or fail.

Start with creating a base for your fire to stop moisture and cold from the ground effecting your tinder. If properly constructed it will also allow for greater airflow when you start your fire.

Next attend your tinder, is it too heavily packed so it won't get enough oxygen, is it dry, fine and fibrous enough.

Never underestimate a handfull of properly made feather sticks.

Kindling, start with really little stuff and work upto thumb thickness, grade your kindling in little stacks.

Main fuel should also be graded.

I find that burning split standing dead wood works far better most of the time than burning wood in the round, this includes some of your kindling.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE