Fire Steel Sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
Peter i know what you mean when it comes to producing items from leather at a lower cost, there arent really any ways of doing it without loosing quality, something which i am not prepared to do.
The way i look at it is i would rather sell less and know that it is the best i can produce and will last for a long time. Lets face it you will only ever buy one sheath which will last for many fire steels so why compromise on quality.

jakunen

Native
mmcniven said:
Peter i know what you mean when it comes to producing items from leather at a lower cost, there arent really any ways of doing it without loosing quality, something which i am not prepared to do.
The way i look at it is i would rather sell less and know that it is the best i can produce and will last for a long time. Lets face it you will only ever buy one sheath which will last for many fire steels so why compromise on quality.
As one artisan to another - Here! Here!

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Cheers John, got the info! :biggthump

Aren't there methods of machining it?

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Well, you can have a clicker pattern made up - this is effectively a cookie cutter for leather, and they aren't all that cheap (and require a press that will take them). You can machine stitch instead of hand stitch - again, using a rather expensive industrial sewing machine (domestic ones don't seem too happy about 6-9 mm of leather for some reason). Er... Other than that? You can use a foam press (same as I use for Kydex) for some of the wet forming, I haven't tried that yet.

Saddle stitch has a few advantages over machine stitch on longevity, but I know a number of people who will admit that if they had the option, they'd use it :-D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE