Fire steel and Opinel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
SteelStrikerOpinel.jpg

Leatherwork.jpg

Pics as requested - is this your work mate? I think it looks great! :D
http://www.wils.ch/sitedata/Articles/Images/Leatherwork.jpg

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
whoops! :eek:

not only are the pics too big i've managed to post it 3 times! :eek: (stupid pc!)

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
The handles are my work, the leatherwork was done by Eric Methven.

Those pictures are awfully large....is someone going to complain??

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
The handles are my work, the leatherwork was done by Eric Methven.

Those pictures are awfully large....is someone going to complain??

Very nice!

I can't reduce the size as it is just a link but at least i have edited the duplicates out :rolleyes:

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
Hi,

Here is at least the text from the article:

I remain convinced that a dedicated striker for the firesteel leads to a safer and more reliable method for starting fires.

Having previously made a rather chunky handle for both steel and striker I tried to fashion something a little smaller. I had enough birch left over for a customised Opinel handle so I did one of those too.The striker pictured turned out to be not as good as I’d hoped. I had the idea that a helical edge would always present at least part of its’ edge at the perfect striking angle. In the end the edge itself was too thin and seemed to chip easily. I replaced it with a square edge whose rectangular cross-section was about 3mm x 7mm. It was much sturdier and cast very acceptable sparks.

The leather holder was made by a third party to my suggestion, as was the sheath for the Opinel. The striker and steel holder is simply two leather tubes with a belt loop. The Opinel sheath was somehow moulded to fit the handle perfectly. There’s even a nice click as the knife sits into place. The leatherworkers name is Eric Methven, and I contacted him through BCUK.

As a footnote, the handle for the Opinel broke off where the securing pin goes through the wood. Thinking about it this is probably the weakest part of the handle. I’d never heard of any original handles breaking so I guess curly birch is too weak for this use. However, all was not lost and I was able to drill out the birch handle and turn down the original handle. The original was then inserted into the birch and glued. From outside you can’t see the join. And more importantly, I can still use the tailored sheath.

Scrumpy

Forager
Mar 18, 2008
Silverstone
www.predatorsport.co.uk
.The striker pictured turned out to be not as good as I’d hoped. I had the idea that a helical edge would always present at least part of its’ edge at the perfect striking angle. In the end the edge itself was too thin and seemed to chip easily.

Is that a carbide slot drill? if so I would imagine thats why the edge didn't last, try a tool steel slot drill or even a roughing out cutter.

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
Truth be told I don't know quite what it was. It was in a box of odds and ends rotary tools /planer cutters. I just tried a few against the steel and picked the best ones. I like to get big chunky sparks. The standard striker delivers something like sparklers on Nov 5th. My current striker gives something akin to a manic welder. It wears down the ferro rod but it'll light shaved wood quite easily.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE