fire starting (HELP)

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
i tried to start a fire using the hand drill method, (fire by friction). i tried this method over the weekend and got no where with it. i calved a v-shape notch in the wood and a point in the drill. i used quit a long drill peace and was drilling the wood for quit a long time. i could smell the wood but i didnt acheive any smoke or ember, this is my 1st time attempting to make a fire without using matches lighter or a spark. i dont know what im doing wrong and really need some good advice on how to make this method work for me. im not sure what type of wood i should be using and what i should look for in the wood. can anyone please help me with this problem, i hate the fact that i failed at this task because i have really under estimated on how hard it is to do.
many thanx
monkey boy

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
Dont despair. It can take a while to get this to go...upwards of an hour (at least). The drill part, you wanna keep a pointy end up top (that you put pressure on, less friction), and a nice, fat, round bottom (more area for friction). Practicing in safety is great though; better to have failed at this when it DIDNT matter!
Keep at it. Look into the types of wood in your area, and use what is recommended, that is local to you.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I admire your determination Monkey Boy,
Fire by friction is difficult enough by bow-drill, let alone hand-drill. It took me years to master the bow and another 18 months to get to grips with the hand -drill. Fast spins and heavy pressure is normally the key but each wood combination requires modifications to the basic technique.

Find someone who can give you a little guidance one on one and it should get a little easier.

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE