Fire pit from a washing machine drum

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've heard of a guy who runs canoeing kayaking trips and he uses a drum for cooking on his group trips. I think its two or three lads who work together to run trips for a few canoeist punters. Tours in lakes, Scotland and further afield. Always liked that idea myself. Simple enough to carry one in a canoe I reckon.

That is a nice bit of work for sure.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It is very easy to bolt legs on it, simply screws and washers through the already existing holes. Damp wood can be put under the fire where it dries quickly. The top lip keeps sausages and cuppers warm. A grill can go on and it doesn't slow the fire. It does look a bit like something that should be warming striking miners , but it is a damb good fire.

says her who has a washing machine sitting in the garden waiting to made into several useful things. It was always a really bad washing machine, it would make half way through a wash then blink for three hours, after many thumps it would sometimes finish. It didnt even do a good job of cleaning clothes. Modern machine designed to break. I really need make into something useful because it was the most unrelible piece rubbish. Anyway i have a second hand bosch now.

Last edited:

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
24l05xh.jpg
[/IMG]And with a mesh on the top it is really handy
2u6of1h.jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
My goodness I'm shocked! Not one post warning of potential fumes from galvie or something else. Have all the naysayers and doom-merchants frozen this cold snowy easter? :joke:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Probably 'cos the're stainless ;)

Please be true.....:lmao:

Sat round one of these at a couple of SOTP meets, they burn really well even in drizzle and keep the fire from overly scorching the grass.

They are good fire bins, and though stainless I was expecting someone to have an intimate metalurgical knowledge of some weld or nut in there that would wipe out life in a half mile radius if burnt. There usually is. A lot lighter than the old standard truck wheel which folks used to use. and good radiant heat.

nuphoria

Jul 11, 2009
Midlands
I love these. Been using one just like it for about 4-5 years now and it's still going strong. We prop it up on three house bricks, throw a little grill on top for cooking, and stay warm all night :D

Mark W

Dec 29, 2011
Forest of Dean
Burns wood fast though, lots of airflow. Take the belt wheel off and reverse it, hey presto a stand, no need to source legs. Not all drums are the same, some have plastic agitators that are a pain to remove. Hmm, thought this sounded familiar, it's in the other thread.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
They are good fire bins, and though stainless I was expecting someone to have an intimate metalurgical knowledge of some weld or nut in there that would wipe out life in a half mile radius if burnt. There usually is. A lot lighter than the old standard truck wheel which folks used to use. and good radiant heat.

No need to provide a warning because as stated, it's stainless......

I really do need to get hold of one of these!

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Bit of an old thread but after much grunting and straining, I eventually liberated the drum from the old washing machine in the shed that had been waiting for me to come and rob some parts off it (I only wanted the pulley off the back of the drum to make a tumbler). I cut the axle off the back so it could fit flat and just put it on the gravel drive. Lit a fire in it with some scraps of wood and bark from around my log chopping block and soon had it roaring. Only came in as the dogs needed feeding.

Pain to get it out of the machine, though... on the plus side, the agitators were quite easy to remove

Trotsky

I once saw someone who took this idea a stage further and stacked one drum on top of the other, welded them together, cut a hole in the side, put legs on the bottom and a length of flue pipe out of the top. I only saw one image but it looked like it was roaring like a jet engine with flames shooting out of the top of the flue. A patio heater on steroid.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE