fire piston.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
allways wanted one but theyre hellishly expensive! does anyone know where i can buy the gubbins ie the tube and plunger so i can make the knob and outer mysekf and fit it in?ive got the materials to hand ie mammoth ivory and buffalo horn!

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
allways wanted one but theyre hellishly expensive! does anyone know where i can buy the gubbins ie the tube and plunger so i can make the knob and outer mysekf and fit it in?ive got the materials to hand ie mammoth ivory and buffalo horn!

Hi Fish you can get ali and brass tube from B+Q and also get the dowel for the plunger,just rebate a bit out at the bottom and use string for the seal,i messed about and made one that worked,can't find it or would have posted a pic.

Bernie

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
ive got some of the B&Q brass tube its the 6mm one ,i used it for lanyard tubes on my knives. any idea how long the tube and plunger should be?

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Hi Fishfish,

if you sent me an E-mail at t.lourensXsanquin.nl (replace the X with an @) I can mail you (or anyone else interested) a tutorial for making a simple fire piston out of hardware shop material.

Cheers,

Tom

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
There are some horrifically expensive fire-pistons out there,
but some makers offer "part made kits" which you just finish however you want.
EBprimitives braass lined items are great value for money.
I've also made a few myself from ally tube and O-rings but they are never quite as good nor as pleasing to the eye as a good horn example.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
I got a pair from Andrea Coates.

I found her listing on ebay (Here)and asked if she made them a bit smaller.

Quick response and turnaround and a sensible price.

You also get some tinder etc.

No connection just a happy customer.

Grebby

clanelliott

Oct 11, 2008
Glasgow
I also got a one from Andrea Coates this week,
it came with cramp ball, chaga fungus, char cotton, grease, spare o ring, tinder box, wire & tin for keeping the bits in. It came very quick and was not the dearest buy now on ebay.
I also do not have any connection with the seller

Mang

Settler

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I've got one of Darrel Aune's hellishly expensive and very beautiful pistons. I don't use it though so I'd be up for swappies if you're interested. Take it to PM's if you are.

(Note: This offer is only to Fishfish.)

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE