Fire Piston usage Tip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HawkesNest

Sep 18, 2008
Brigham City Utah USA
www.box.net
"How to improve your success rate when using a fire piston".
When you don't get your tinder to light after giving your fire piston a good whacking, you will want to give it another whack and another as many of us do and then maybe give up on that piece of tinder. But, oxygen is a very important part of the process and after each whack, you must purge the cylinder so that there is fresh air in it so that you have the needed oxygen for the next whack. I use a piece of wooden dowel that slides down into the cylinder to displace the smoke and depleted oxygen from the previous whack. When the dowel is withdrawn, new fresh air and oxygen is drawn into the cylinder. Sometimes a piece of chaga (tinder fungus) will take 1 to 6 whacks, but my success rate is almost 100% when I make sure the cylinder is purged with new air & oxygen for each whack.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I find that it helps significantly if you clean and regrease after each plunge (whether you get success or not). I also find that it helps if you change the tinder after an unsuccessful attempt.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I find that if you use char cloth or a simialar tinder, the bore gets dirty quickly.
I clean it out with some WD40 on a rag, rolled and pushed into the cylinder.

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE