Fire grill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I was at a Stainless steel fabricators a few weeks ago, and noticed that he has some stainless steel mesh. This got me thinking about a project that I've had in mind for a long time, so I discussed my idea and design with the fabricator and he agreed to build it for me. It is a folding grill stand that can go over the fire, enabling us to grill, boil, fry and bake directly over the fire.
It is made entrely from type 304 ( High quality Food grade) stainless steel, so no rust problems and it's safe to cook directly on the grill.
Here are some pictures.

DSC_0113.jpg

DSC_0112.jpg

First two show the folding frame. Apart from the folding legs, everything else is full welded.

DSC_0114.jpg

This shows the folding leg attachment.

DSC_0116.jpg

The legs are strengthened with a cross piece, which had to be angled to fold properly.

DSC_0117.jpg

Here is the stainless steel grill in place.

DSC_0118.jpg

The grill sits down in a recess. This stops food or pots rolling/sliding off if the fire is on a slope

DSC_0120.jpg

I also got two pieces of heavy gauge stainless steel cut to fit the grill. This lets us fry eggs, bacon etc or cook bannock directly over the fire.

DSC_0122.jpg

And finally, here is the grill folded up and ready for transport.
The fact that it completely disassembles makes cleaning the grill really easy. I also tried to keep the profile as small as possible so that it didn't block any amount of heat from the fire. The legs and frame all have a 90 degree fold which gives plenty of strength. Now it is much lighter than you may think, but, especially with the heavy guage plates, would probably be a bit heavy to carry over a long distance. For a fixed camp though, it's a fantastic bit of kit. Build quality is sensational and I expect it will last a lifetime.

Last edited:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I've made something similar, but with a fire tray, that will take 2 disposable bbq's, but can also be used as a wood burner, on sites with no open fire rules etc.. The grill looks the same size as that in supermarket trolly's, just can't remember where i got my grill from....

Rob

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Now that's neat :D

Watch using charcoal with some of these grills.
We used the fast light charcoal with the round grill that came from the Lidl's BBQ set up, on my oildrum firebowl that we use under the parachute.
The grill buckled and sagged with the heat :eek:

cheers,
Toddy

thats nice , handy bit of kit . r they forsale m8

This was a one off made to my specification. I had given the fabricator loads of business over the past year, so I didn't pay for the grill. he made it for me for free. I have no idea what it would cost to make this, but I'm sure I could find out.
If the costs are not prohibitive and there is enough interest, we could mayby do a group buy.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Last time out the grill was red hot. Not quite the bright cherry red that blades get when heat treating, but it was certainly glowing. It didn't appear to cause it any problems. Even if it does buckle through time, because it's removable, I can get another grill made to fit it.

Ah, didn't make myself clear, I wasn't actually meaning your grill rack, I think it was woof who said he was using the disposable bbq's ? The ones I got are full of charcoal.
I do know it really surprised us when we saw our grill sag as it has :(
Fortunately it has reinforcing struts on the other side so we could turn it over.

Did the mesh you use come in large sheets ?, excellent to know that it can be obtained in stainless steel anyway :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
How many times have we walked past temporary road/detour signs made of angle iron just left there to rot, cut and shaped EH.

Phil

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE