Fire from a potato Real or fake???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
B

bushyboo

looks interesting only one way to find out
will have to try it

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
I can't tell from that what the wires are made of, if differing materials it should work like a basic salt water battery, just solder on the end of 1 wire might be enough.

Also not sure if the toothpaste is doing anything electrically wise, it may just be keeping a high salt concentration in a small area

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I can't tell from that what the wires are made of, if differing materials it should work like a basic salt water battery, just solder on the end of 1 wire might be enough.

Also not sure if the toothpaste is doing anything electrically wise, it may just be keeping a high salt concentration in a small area

I believe the toothpaste was just used as a solvent for the salt, therefore making a very crude electrolyte. Getting sparks from that would be difficult though.

Not exactly fire from just a potato though, more like a fire from everything in the kitchen.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Sorry, still stuck on the first bit!:naughty:

:D

Your browser must be broke, ;-)

I have seen spud powered clocks and low power lights using a series of spud batteries. From O level General Science I remember you have to use two different metals, one becoming positively charged the other negative, this allows a flow of electricity between the two. A copper coin and a silver coin are favourite then attach wires to each one.

I think by adding the extra salt he turbo's the spud but I have'nt a clue what might be in the toothpaste (if anything) other than using it as a base to hold in the salt.

A little project for tomorrow methinks.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
As a basic potato or salt water battery I wouldn't expect it to produce enough voltage to spark, though if you put a whole bunch in series it might.

What makes me think it's likely to be fake is the waiting 5 minutes being a good place to cut and stick a batterey inside. My feeling was that if you wanted to show it as real but needed the cut to keep a reasonable time frame, it would be better to put the wires in from the sides and not have the top half of the potato on.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
As a basic potato or salt water battery I wouldn't expect it to produce enough voltage to spark, though if you put a whole bunch in series it might.

That's exactly what I was thinking... Plus it looks to me like both wires are copper, so it wouldn't work anyway. Could be wrong though...

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Just tried it.............did'nt work.

Using a multimeter I found that the spud produced .2v and enhanced with salt and toothpaste it produced .5v

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE