Fire by friction. Finally.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
I've been trying fire by friction for a while with no joy. I have not the faintest what wood I was useing. I even tried too buy two sycamore branches, of a member, haha.
Anyway I finally done it today. Christmas day, how about that. I'm chuffed too bits.
(It means nothing too the Missus and kids) Honestly i am over the moon. I've done a few times now, I'm proper laughing as I type.
This Christmas I will remember for ever.:D:cool::D

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Congrats on that Ammo, it's a task and a half to do. Were you using a bow drill or plough? I've done it once and decided it was a young mans game. Though I should really try to hone it! Well done mate and even if it means nowt to your Misses and Kids it means stuff to the adopted family, we know how difficult it can be.

Hope you are having a good day.

GB.

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Thanks Gb. I used a bow drill, after 3 hours of mayhem with the children, I needed a break. It literally took 5 minutes the first time, less now. Absolutely made up.
Thanks Col.
Congrats on that Ammo, it's a task and a half to do. Were you using a bow drill or plough? I've done it once and decided it was a young mans game. Though I should really try to hone it! Well done mate and even if it means nowt to your Misses and Kids it means stuff to the adopted family, we know how difficult it can be.

Hope you are having a good day.

GB.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
5 minutes!! Very well done, i am not prepared to tell you or anyone, how long and how many times before i mastered it! You will surely remember this day.

I bet you had a grin like a cheshire cat.

Well done indeed mate.

Ivan...

PS don't want to wee on your fireworks, bet it takes longer than 5 minutes next time, keep us posted!

davidpingu

Forager
Nov 3, 2012
Cwmbran
Well done fella. I know you've been doing this for a while now. Just goes to show that never giving up is the key.

Was the wood you were using stored indoors from the last time you tried it? Also did you attempt to bowdrill outside or somewhere indoors?

Would just like to say I've never attempted this (I plan to in the summer as I've only just mastered fire by ferro rod really!) but I've watched lots of videos of people doing it, Cody Lundin for one and I've even seen him fail a few times.

It seems that quite often it isn't your technique that dictates your success, it may be fine but from the failed attempts I've seen it's been down to the moisture content in the wood and the humidity in the air.

You may select the right wood and it may appear to be dry enough inside but to be successful it has to have sufficiently low moisture content or it will never work.

One really good tip I saw was when failing with a freshly made up set on the first day, the set was left off the ground and in the sun for the next day. By that night it was a success.

My point being, if you've had the set you failed with last time tucked away somewhere drying until this time, that will almost certainly be why you were successful.

Also worth pointing out it can very easily work the other way too. The last dual survival I watched, they left their pendulum drill set in the bottom of a rucksack that had been left on the ground for a short time. The cold moisture in the ground was enough to get through the pack and in to the set just enough to render it useless. Very frustrating when it had got them fire on their first night to then have to spend a second night fighting off hyperthermia!

Hats off to you mate, I'm sure if you always keep the above in mind you'll have plenty more success in the future.

Now I'd better take all this "theory" in my head and start working on the practical side of stuff for myself!!!

Last edited:

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Thanks Ivan.
I tried it 10 times yesterday and had success 7 times. About 3 pm I took the kids the beach under the pretence they they could ride their scooters on the Promenade;). I failed the first time but got it on my next two goes.
I was walking around all day grinning, and every now and then I'd say "YES" and throw a little fist pump.
Absolutely chuffed too bits.
Thanks mate.
5 minutes!! Very well done, i am not prepared to tell you or anyone, how long and how many times before i mastered it! You will surely remember this day.

I bet you had a grin like a cheshire cat.

Well done indeed mate.

Ivan...

PS don't want to wee on your fireworks, bet it takes longer than 5 minutes next time, keep us posted!

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Thanks mate.
The bits have been indoors, and now it's wrapped up in a cloth, with a silica hatchet to absorb any moisture. ( got the idea from Ivan's tinderbox)
The first Two attempts were indoors, then I went the beach for a challenge. It was a challenge and alot harder and longer than at home or the garden.
1) I now spend 1 minute gently warming the set, I'll drill either side and inside of the notch I'm on to absorb moisture and warm it up.
2) I lubricate the top of the drill to reduce friction.
3) Technique is everything not effort. The correct body posture has a massive affect. Lock your bearing arm against your leg.
The first minute I don't count so nice and easy. Then I alternate increasing both more pressure and more speed. When you think it's done, GO HARDER/FASTER, for another 10/20 seconds. ( squeeze the string with your fingers for more grip on the spindle ) last 10 seconds lots of speed an pressure.
The coal can be tricky, don't blow on it, as there is moisture in you breath. Waft your hand for a few seconds, gather the dust let it grow. Very gentle with it as you place it in the tinder. GOOD TINDER IS ESSENTIAL.
I think technique and good tinder are vital.
Good luck and thanks
Kal.
Well done fella. I know you've been doing this for a while now. Just goes to show that never giving up is the key.

Was the wood you were using stored indoors from the last time you tried it? Also did you attempt to bowdrill outside or somewhere indoors?

Would just like to say I've never attempted this (I plan to in the summer as I've only just mastered fire by ferro rod really!) but I've watched lots of videos of people doing it, Cody Lundin for one and I've even seen him fail a few times.

It seems that quite often it isn't your technique that dictates your success, it may be fine but from the failed attempts I've seen it's been down to the moisture content in the wood and the humidity in the air.

You may select the right wood and it may appear to be dry enough inside but to be successful it has to have sufficiently low moisture content or it will never work.

One really good tip I saw was when failing with a freshly made up set on the first day, the set was left off the ground and in the sun for the next day. By that night it was a success.

My point being, if you've had the set you failed with last time tucked away somewhere drying until this time, that will almost certainly be why you were successful.

Also worth pointing out it can very easily work the other way too. The last dual survival I watched, they left their pendulum drill set in the bottom of a rucksack that had been left on the ground for a short time. The cold moisture in the ground was enough to get through the pack and in to the set just enough to render it useless. Very frustrating when it had got them fire on their first night to then have to spend a second night fighting off hyperthermia!

Hats off to you mate, I'm sure if you always keep the above in mind you'll have plenty more success in the future.

Now I'd better take all this "theory" in my head and start working on the practical side of stuff for myself!!!

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Great minds think alike, and fools never differ. I'm already trying the plough, been watching videos and reading about it, last in bed and today. Cedar, is my next wood choice for the plough, it looks really good. Although the plough method looks tireing and long. The fire bow with Bamboo, that looks promising.
Thanks Ozzy.
Great feeling when you get it sussed, I have been meaning to learn to use the plough next.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE