Finnish Forging & Rancid Leather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
(I thought there was more D.I.Y. involved here, than not, so chose not to post this in "edged tools":confused:)

A few months back, I traded a couple of items with Finnish member; PRKL.

Anyway, when I unpacked one of them, I found a forged blade blank, which had obviously had a handle fitted at some point, then removed.

PRKL had popped it in as an added bonus!:) I liked the look of it immediately and started trying to think of the best way to sort out a handle.

This what I came up with:
P8080104.jpg

I found some "Tufnell" and used that for the handle.
P8080102.jpg

The blade is about 95mm by 3mm thick, while the handle is 110mm.
P8080103.jpg

The handle pins are just copper tube, not very well done, to be honest but I had nothing else available.

The sheath was of course, made by your's truly from a piece of 4mm veg tan, oil dyed and double sewn with 70lb artificial sinew.
P8080100.jpg

P8080101.jpg

The knife itself, is amazing, incredibly sharp and robust too. I really like the shape and size of the thing.
It also makes a good companion for my "Landrover" knife, by Elma, which also has Tufnell scales:)
So, many thanks to PRKL;)

atb

R.B.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
I like that a lot Steve, looks very useable. The tufnell really suits it and looks great, well done :)

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Thanks all, I wasn't looking for compliments as such, I was just a bit surprised no one had commented at all:eek:

It's a really good little knife, the handle could be much better but this isn't really in my line of skills. I was lucky that the tufnell behaved as I'd expected ( from experience at work with the material)

I've got some carbon fibre scales that I thought about trying but It's a buxxer for irritating the skin, at least for me anyway.:rolleyes:

I'd love another like this to have another go.
The real credit goes to PRKL who made the blade itself but never got round to completely finishing the project, as it were.

As I say; I really like it and its going to be a user, rather than a "look at this" item:D

thanks again

R.B.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE