Finishing up a spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Ok so I have finally carved a spoon... Ok it's just a stick shaped like a spoon for now but that's where you folks come in. First of all, when should I carve the bowl? Should I wait till it's dry first or just go for it right away? Any tips on carving the bowl would also be helpful. Second, what oil should I use on it after it's done and I take it you should apply that once it dries, I'm assuming that's right...

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Before you carve a spoone make sure the middle of the tree would not be part of the final spoon or it gonna crack. More wood is more likely to crack then little wood.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I'd carve it right away and finish with flax seed oil. Best of luck to ya and make sure you post some pics.

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Well I finished carving it and I sanded it too because it fealt like I might cut my mouth with it, plus I just like it nice and smooth... Sadly it does have the center in it, I didn't really have a choice with that because it's not my land that the trees are on (I didn't have permission but it's not really land that whoever owns it cares about, one sapling missing is the smallest problem with it) so I could only cut a small tree, like sapling size I guess. So I guess I just have to hope that it doesn't crack... I'd still like to finish it so if I can find any flax seed oil, how would I apply that and how many coats, also how long should I leave it before I oil it, or should I oil it right away. It doesn't feel wet at all anymore but it's only been a few days. I'll try and post a picture but my photography skills are around 0 so don't expect anything great, plus my camera has a dead battery...

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
For a deep dark colour and better preservation, soak in a container for 2-3 days in a warm place.
A quick rub with a small amount will give a very nice result, and in both cases give it a day or two to cure dry.

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
What about curing or whatever? I don't know if I like the sound of oil from my spoon floating around in my soup... Though there's already oil in there so I may not even notice it. Would I go about applying it in the same way? I am having a bit of difficulty finding flax seed oil, apart from capsules that also have other things in them.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Let your spoon dry naturally or in a warmish place. I do my items near a woodburner, but not too close. Then just put some oil in the bowl of the spoon and rub all over, or soak.
I think vegatable oil works in a similar way to flax seed aka cold pressed linseed oil, just not as dark, and cures naturally(ish).

Health food shops and artist shops sell flax seed / linseed oil, and you can get it in all sorts of types off ebay. Boiled linseed oil has solvents in it though so some folks dont like that on eating utensills.

Sean Hellman

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2009
devon
www.seanhellman.com
I have been carving spoons for over 20 years and have only very rarely oiled them. They will soon take up any oils from your hands and food and will slowly evolve a beautiful patina. Wood does not need to be treated with anything, it will still function perfectly.

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Ok I've had trouble finding flax seed oil around here so I've decided to go with walnut oil if I can find it or sunflower oil. I'll do the submerging thing and then I'll use it I guess! Thanks for all your help folks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE