Finishing Leather

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I know this has been done to death but not really seen a nice consolidated thread so thought it'd be a good idea to start one :D All of the stuff below was 'borrowed' from the experts on here.

I use 2 main methods for soft things. My favourite is mink oil applied liberally all over and worked in. Leave to dry for a bit then repeat let it dry again and give it a buff. Gives a nice satin finish, not too glossy.

DSCF1408.jpg

If you want glossy, just slabber over the carnauba cream then buff like a mad thing

3297105429_de7eedb0ab.jpg

For hard things I use beeswax (with a bit of carnauba wax in there too) melted in a bain-marie. This is then spread on with a toothrush and worked in before it hardens. You can heat the article (very carefully) with a hot air gun to extend the workable time for the beeswax. Once you have a good layer on gently heat it and work it over with a clean cloth. Again gives a nice satin sheen and also hardens the leather. Last time I beeswaxed something, it was a quiver and it holds its shape well.

So anymore ideas for leather finishing, I know MK mention carnauba wax (not cream)

Cheers,

Alan

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I'm always very impressed with the talent shown on here.

I'm content to scrape off the excess glue that's splurged out and stuck to the leather, and flatten the sewing holes that I've made with the cordless drill. It's a good job I'm not trying to sell stuff...

P8260305.jpg

Cheers, Michael.

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Well it depends on the type of leather:rolleyes:

If it’s good stuff I just oil it with Neatsfoot oil and maybe wax it (like pouch below), otherwise it gets dyed and/or oiled and waxed.

This is just oiled.........
DSCF1540.jpg

I find leather varies from supplier to supplier and what gives a good finish on one lot doesn’t always work on other stuff.

As for Dyes I use Fiebings oil dye or Punch Suede dye (I find the suede dye works better on leather than the leather dye;) ).

Richard

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I normally use Punch dyes, or "Vinegaroon" to colour the leather and finish it with any old boot polish.
If I am leaving the leather un-dyed then I use the new Nikwax in a tube.
I havealso been trying out "Bear Gream" from Casstroms, which smells great and should gradually darken the leather....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE