Finished my Nimblewill Nomad Little Dandy Wood Stove

I

IBrown

I have finally finished my wood burning stove. I didn't like the original front design so I designed my own front. That is the only change I made.

This is both fronts:

stove2small.jpg

This is the Original front:

stove3small.jpg

This is my modification:

stove5small.jpg

The reason I did the modification is I thought it was to easy for the ash and wood to fall out the front.

I did a full How to.. on my Blog
Thanks
Ian

Last edited by a moderator:
I

IBrown

Sorry I forgot to add the leather pouch I made for it..

attachment.php

Thanks
Ian

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nicely done Ian

I've got a 50x50cm piece of 0.9mm stainless here waiting for the same treatment

Piccies working fine on Chrome

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I suspect members of the forum the pics are hosted on can see them but no-one else

yeah could be, didn't really think about that :)

Saying that though, Ashley doesn't have any private areas on his forum so I always thought they were open access for all to see.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
When I made my Nimblewill I did a front similar to yours - basically, give it a lip to stop stuff falling out.
I also made mine a bit wider.

That's what's so good about making your own - you can design it to be exactly how you want it to be for your own needs. And when something breaks or you want to modify it then because you made it you know how it all goes together and can hack away, knowing what you're doing.

Oh yeah, I also found that the air-slots needed to be bigger, so I widened and deepened them.

You can see mine here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9179907@N06/4254634190/

Last edited:
I

IBrown

When I made my Nimblewill I did a front similar to yours - basically, give it a lip to stop stuff falling out.
I also made mine a bit wider.

That's what's so good about making your own - you can design it to be exactly how you want it to be for your own needs. And when something breaks or you want to modify it then because you made it you know how it all goes together and can hack away, knowing what you're doing.

Oh yeah, I also found that the air-slots needed to be bigger, so I widened and deepened them.

You can see mine here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9179907@N06/4254634190/

I like the top of your stove. Did you groove it and then placed the bars in the grooves like the front piece? I was just going to use tent pegs to stand my pots on but your idea looks a lot more stable. I will have to make some supports and try it out. Thanks Ian

Thanks for all the positive comments. Its nice to make your own stuff, now I have a new dremel I will be making loads more lol..

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Mine went through a bit of an awkward genesis.
I widened it because the orginal wouldn't be wide enough for a 12cm Zebra billy. But then I was also thinking of getting a 14cm Zebra billy as well, so I made my Nimblewill wide enough so that a 14cm billy would sit astride the two sides.
That would mean using something to side on the grooves in the side pieces for the 12cm billy to sit on. I used a pack of stainless steel barbecue skewers I got from Wilkinsons (can't remember how much, but dirt cheap).
However.
I found that I had made it just a tad too wide, and that the 14cm billy did not sit on the side pieces but just in between - not a problem since I had the skewers in place. BUT, it just clipped the top front brace. So I had to Dremel off the support prongs - which is why the top front brace is flat!

S

sccadmin

Nice, I think it looks much better with your design vs the original, is there much weight difference?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE