Finished forget viking knife

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I finally managed to get a fresh bottle of gas for my forge and got around to finishing the viking style knife. It's turned out quite well. I used some piece of re-bar I found and considering it's an unknown bit of steel, and despite having developed some long cracks in the blade and tang, I am very pleased with it.

DSCF4322.jpg

DSCF4325.jpg

DSCF4326.jpg

It's not going to see much service, except in the kitchen, chopping onions and such. The joint betwen the blade and the tang has a crack and it probably would not take much effort to brake the blade off. So it's going to have an easy life.

The blade is about 4 3/4" (120mm) long, overall 9 1/2" long. The only grinding I have done is give a nice curve to the cutting edge and sharpened it, and about 3/4" on the top of the blade at the tip to give it a point. The rest is as forged.

I have learned a lot from making this knife and will apply that new found knowledge to the next ones!

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
I gather re-bar could be any old stuff, some is good, some not so good for knives, some is really too hard. So it's a bit of potluck. This bit is basically unknown carbon content. I only used it because it was found (read cheap!) and so, good for practicing on. I haven't tried hardening it as yet soI'll see how it comes up!

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
Thanks gentlemen.
i want to make a folding version of this to shave with

Actually, I have seen pictures of some small folding knive like that. Shave with it? Ermm...do take a video, will you, when you done it...:yikes: Don't forget to edit the blood out though, it's a family forum...:rolleyes:

Nice stuff Joel.You'll have to pop over again in the new year for a bash in the smithy if you like?!

Hi Nigel. That would be really good, mate. We'll have to organise that in the next few weeks, by then I hopefully won't have any need for a snowplow in front of my car!

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Lovely work there Jojo. Like you, I often work with rebar, but rarely for anything that requires much strength or edge as it's generally regarded as a medium carbon steel and hugely variable in composition....Cue stories of whole ball-bearings being found in the centre of bars whilst forging etc. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE